MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #136
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
ok! I am now the proud owner of the Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Smoker. Try saying that 10 times really fast...

It was delivered today, and holly crap was it fun! (can you sense the sarcasm)

The crate was twice as large as the smoker, and didnt quite fit on the lift gate of the freight truck. I highly recommend this to be a 4 man job (we were 3 including the freight guy) LMAO

Anyone planning on buying one should get the 8" wheels or "you aint moving this sucker" anywhere.

Then came the unwrapping of the gift. I must say, the wrapping is top notch and protected the smoker very well.

Overall, this sucker is built like a tank.

I cant wait to fire it up this weekend if the weather behaves

In any case, this was definitely an experience I will remember
Congrats darkoozy! Your post was very similar to mine. Getting her uncrated and unwrapped was a chore. I dimantled part of the crate, and did it all by myself. I had a couple of neighbors assist when it was time to roll it down and out of the crate.

I am keeping mine in the garage because I don't have a covered patio. My house faces to the east, which means after about 2 PM I will be in the shade. If she was out back, I would be in the sun from 10:00 AM until almost sundown. I'll take the shade!

I hope the weather turns for the better, and you get your chance to fire her up!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #137
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Out of curiosity, what do these things weigh?
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #138
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
850lb's
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #139
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Yeah, after cooking on a horizontal offset for many years the vertical design is way more efficient and the amount of food that I can get on there is SCARY!
Did you use both as stickburners? Any difference in taste/smoke flavor between them? Thanks!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #140
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
850lb's
Dang. You ain't kidding about needing the 8" wheels. That's about what my motorcycle weighs and it's hard enough to push around on real wheels.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #141
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Default Level Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
I am keeping mine in the garage because I don't have a covered patio. My house faces to the east, which means after about 2 PM I will be in the shade. If she was out back, I would be in the sun from 10:00 AM until almost sundown. I'll take the shade!
Our North Carolina home is built on the side of a mountain @ 3900 ft. and there's not much level ground here. We're having our contractor lay a level pad fore and aft for the cooker so the water pan will stay level.

Pad04.jpg

Pad03.jpg

Pad01.jpg

We're also extending the car port to the side of the mountain to have room to cover our "toys".

Extension01.jpg

Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #142
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Did you use both as stickburners? Any difference in taste/smoke flavor between them? Thanks!
I've always burned nothing but wood in my pits with the exception of a chimney of lit lump for starting my fire and to get a quick coal bed.
The most noticeable thing about the vertical configuration is that it gives a much wider range of temperatures. Because the heat and smoke get to travel up almost immediately after leaving the firebox instead of travelling sideways a great distance first, it's a lot easier to get higher temps and the cooker drafts much better. My old horizontal offset would barely get over 275 on a hot summer day while my LSG vertical can easily hit 350 if I want it to, and with not as large a fire as you would think. Once the 1/2' firebox and the 1/4" steel construction of my pit gets heated up it really requires very little fire to maintain temp. In addition to this the 30" x 24" cabinet with 6 slide outs will hold as much or in most cases more food than many of the larger trailer pits out there while costing a lot less!
If you're looking to purchase a high end offset, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Lone Star Grillz vertical offsets!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #143
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
Our North Carolina home is built on the side of a mountain @ 3900 ft. and there's not much level ground here. We're having our contractor lay a level pad fore and aft for the cooker so the water pan will stay level.
Very nice!

Ironically my backyard patio slab slopes downward...making it bothersome for me. I will probably have someone come out in the near future and extend my patio and level it out. I need to find a way to level off my cooker or it will drive me nuts. I also need to buy some wheel chocks to keep this sucker from rolling away

Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #144
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I've always burned nothing but wood in my pits with the exception of a chimney of lit lump for starting my fire and to get a quick coal bed.
The most noticeable thing about the vertical configuration is that it gives a much wider range of temperatures. Because the heat and smoke get to travel up almost immediately after leaving the firebox instead of travelling sideways a great distance first, it's a lot easier to get higher temps and the cooker drafts much better. My old horizontal offset would barely get over 275 on a hot summer day while my LSG vertical can easily hit 350 if I want it to, and with not as large a fire as you would think. Once the 1/2' firebox and the 1/4" steel construction of my pit gets heated up it really requires very little fire to maintain temp. In addition to this the 30" x 24" cabinet with 6 slide outs will hold as much or in most cases more food than many of the larger trailer pits out there while costing a lot less!
If you're looking to purchase a high end offset, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Lone Star Grillz vertical offsets!
So not much difference in smoke flavor? I can see how the vertical allows for much higher heat vs. a horizontal pit. Thanks oldbill! I've heard nothing but good things about lone star grillz, I'll keep them in mind.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #145
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
So not much difference in smoke flavor? I can see how the vertical allows for much higher heat vs. a horizontal pit. Thanks oldbill! I've heard nothing but good things about lone star grillz, I'll keep them in mind.
Sorry I didn't really answer your question about the smoke! It's actually better on the vertical because with a better draft there's less of a chance of getting stagnant smoke hanging out in the smoking chamber and therefore less of a chance of too much smoke or creosote. The quality of my Q went up several notches once I got my vertical offset.

Last edited by oldbill; 04-23-2014 at 03:24 PM..
oldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #146
doug93003
Knows what a fatty is.

Using water is it possible to hold temps of 275?
doug93003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #147
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Dave - She weighs between 775 and 800 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug93003 View Post
Using water is it possible to hold temps of 275?
I'm sure you can, although I have not really done it yet. I cooked ribs once, and my temps did go over 275, but I cannot be sure about how much water was inside.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #148
jrben1

Quote:
Very nice!

Ironically my backyard patio slab slopes downward...making it bothersome for me. I will probably have someone come out in the near future and extend my patio and level it out. I need to find a way to level off my cooker or it will drive me nuts. I also need to buy some wheel chocks to keep this sucker from rolling away
I used slant levelers from Camping World
HTML Code:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slant-levelers-set-of-2/56862
to level my Myron Mixon smoker. Roll the smoker up on the leveler and check it with a level, then apply the brake or chock.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #149
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I used slant levelers from Camping World
HTML Code:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slant-levelers-set-of-2/56862
to level my Myron Mixon smoker. Roll the smoker up on the leveler and check it with a level, then apply the brake or chock.
Thanks!

I ended up buying these from amazon. "Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler"

I found the slant levelers and others as well. Figured the ones I bought would be easier for me to handle on my own. Can't wait to fire it up!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #150
ggee6688

I'm looking to get my smoker up my garage. I have a 1 inch rise from the driveway to the garage. Any ideas. Ive been using the plywood from the crate to get it up there but there has to be something easier. Would like to get the plywood out of my garage. I looked at the leveler ramps and they just are too much.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote