MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Nice!!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

More detailed pictures please.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you SO SO SO much guys! That is where we rebuilt it behind our house. I would give anything to have a picture of where it stood and of the original building but we found out about them burning it down the DAY BEFORE they had told the fire department to be there to burn it, so we rushed there that Sunday evening and got it down. Definitely hectic and we didn't get pictures, but the old building was just like what you see except it didn't have a the small overhang on the front. Only reason it has that now is because some of the sideboards were rotten so we shortened the building and left the roof its original length and propped up the overhang with some trees we cut down for the vertical beams. Otherwise, it's just as it was down to everything but the nails. Here is a few more, and ignore the ugly mug in a few of them. Dad likes to get us kids in pictures.

The smokehouse has the path leading down to it from the driveway and it's kind of built behind out clothesline. That's what those two T-shaped posts are where the path ends before veering left to the smokehouse.

Me and Dad are obsessed with old stuff. I'll don't have any other pictures of the smokehouse on this college computer, but I'll get a bunch of good ones when I go home next time. Here is a picture of a storage shed we built out of several old buildings we tore down from as far away as 100 miles. It really could be a livable cabin but we just use it for storage and have swing doors out back and some cross ties for ramps up into it to park four-wheelers and mowers. About a year of hunting for wood and two weekends building it.

Front porch view looking towards smokehouse, the fencing is one really long one we tore down and used the best vertical posts to make the three rung one towards the smokehouse, and the shorter ones that were rotten on the bottom we cut off and make two rungs high and that fence leads to the back deck on Dad's house. The fence is probably 70 years old if I had to guess. You can see a couple of my grandpa's old farm implements to the left and right of the porch there too. Those things have hone a lot of work behind a mule and his old Cub tractor. Still use the Cub to disc our garden -

I'll get pictures of a REALLY old out-house we rebuilt too. It's probably my favorite building. Moon on the door and all. Also take some of our old corn crib. We certainly stayed busy for a few years before I moved off to college. Good memories with my dad no doubt. Dad isn't into sports or fishing, so that's just what we took up I guess.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for sharing.VERRRY IMPRESSIVE.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

very cool. we still have the one on our family farm that was built in the later 1800s my family used it intill the later 1970s since than its been used for storage but with a little work it could still be used for smoking
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Wow that is cool......thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
very cool. we still have the one on our family farm that was built in the later 1800s my family used it intill the later 1970s since than its been used for storage but with a little work it could still be used for smoking
I'd love to see a picture of that thing! Maybe one day you can get in there and use it for some porky products one day!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
smokenpreacher
Full Fledged Farker

Pretty dang cool, smokehouses really bring back memories for me
smokenpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great to see the respect paid to the family heritage.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Garrett
Babbling Farker

That's just cool. When my grandparents got married in 1940 their first house that they lived in was a corn crib that was on the farm my grandpaw grew up on. About 20 years ago everything finally fell in. It's very cool for me to see old stuff like that. Good job on preserving your history.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

You should be very proud of preserving this piece of your family history! I you grandpa is still around I know he is proud of the effort. For that matter if he is only with you in spirit I know he is looking down and smilin. I know all the Brethren salute your effort and appreciate you sharing.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Thanks for sharing those pics.
I'll bet that smokehouse smells great inside.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Awesome looking pictures! Thanks!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for so many pictures of wonderful projects.

I used to do a lot of projects with my dad when I lived at home, and remember a lot of special moments hanging out with him - not as impressive as your restoration and rebuild projects though!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
MisterChrister

That is one cool shack. I'm sure you'll turn out some good food from it. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks from:--->