MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Zekesbbq
Found some matches.

Default Fixed water pan vs slide out?

Hi I am in the process of trying to buy a new cabinet smoker (WOW overwhelming!) and I am curious as to users/owners of cabs with slide out water pans vs fixed ones with drains? I really like the design of the fixed with the ball valve drain and being able to fill from outside but reading from users they can be a PITA to clean after. This brings me to slide out pans (Humphreys mainly) seem very simple to clean besides opening the door to re fill. My main question is users with fixed and drains are they a real pain to take care of? I am on the fence between LSG and Humpreys at this point. I am only 2.5 hours from Humphreys so that's a plus but really like some LSG features as well. Any other pros vs cons on either one? Any input would be great! TIA
Zekesbbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Based on my experience with my BW Chubby, which has a slide out, I'd stick with a slide out - mainly for cleaning, but also that little farker is actually a pretty dang good direct grill when you take out the water pan and heat deflector. I have no idea if that would apply to other models and types of cabinets, but I was pleasantly surprised at how this one worked as a grill. In general I'm a fan of flexibility and I'd prefer to have open options.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
RacrX
On the road to being a farker

Default Fixed water pan vs slide out?

Line the fixed pan with foil and cleanup is easy. I have the LSG large vertical, it's an amazing machine. I researched the heck out of them all before I purchased.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Zekesbbq
Found some matches.

Thanks RacrX i have been beating myself up on the decision of which to get! I really am on the verge of getting the LSG! I have yet to hear back from them about questions I had including shipping. That might be the true decision maker once i hear back, could be pricey to NH!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You don't have to use water. You could also put water in a pan on the bottom rack.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

I line the water pan in my Backwoods G2 Chubby with a full sized, foil hotel pan. Makes cleanup much easier and lasts for many, many cooks. I found it to be better than foil because it won't leak and it doesn't have to be completely empty to avoid the mess.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
cfrazier77
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

I have a humphreys side out and really like it. I use disposable foil pans. The nice thing is that clean-up is really fast and after a long time cooking that is a great thing.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
Viticulture
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Was in the exact same position trying to decide between vertical smokers and narrowed it down to those two; the Humphreys or Lone Star Grillz and after countless (literally) hours of research, decided upon the LSG and ordered one on 11/3/17. A few details steered me: 11 gauge, 3 hinges, water fill feature (although I don't usually use H2O), seam welds, 2" insulation, shipping was less expensive & probably as important as anything, the builders/ owners are superb to work with. There is also a little 150 page thread located with the Brethren titled "Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker - For new owners" that is a plethora of information. Whichever one you end up purchasing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #9
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

Cleaning is no fun no matter if it is fixed or not. I have a fixed pan and it rarely sees water during cooks. It works great and it sucks to clean, but that's just part of it. Prep, cook, clean.

If it were me, clean up wouldn't be a determining factor because it is never fun no matter how you slice it.

Pitmaker Vault; AZ BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale Grill; Weber Genesis S-330; Blackstone SS 36"; Rec Tec (donated and not forgotten); a bunch of thermoworks stuff.
Leftwngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Zombie Q
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've had both, a drop in battle box that was a great cooker, sold it to get a little more capacity. I now have a pint by Humphreys with the slide out pan. I prefer the slide out, it's much easier to clean up. Both cook very good Q.
Zombie Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #11
IamMadMan

I prefer the drop-in pan in my Humphrey's Down East Beast. I do however use a drip pan below the last shelf of meat to catch all of the drippings, so there has never been anything to do to clean the water pan, other than a quick rinse with the hose.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Zekesbbq
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the replies! I am leaning towards the lsg at the moment due to some of their standard details, features and countless good reviews I read. Viticulture did you order the mini or the larger cab? Im on the verdge of ordering the large with a cart.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
JVM59
On the road to being a farker

I have yet to use water in my Lone Star Mini for a cook.
I started learning to cook on it without using water, and I'm plenty satisfied
with everything I've cooked on it so far.
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
Viticulture
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I went with the LSG "Mini" as I'm just a backyard smoke guy for myself and wife. Only on occasion do I cook more than a few items so the mini is going to work out well for me. I did not go for the cart but did get the side table, upgraded wheels, diverter plate and handle. They were 8 weeks out when I ordered earlier this month.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
swamprb

I've got a Backwoods Gater. I HATE that the waterpan is not a slide out.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote