MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #46
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

thanks to all who posted their ratios. Its seems there is a lot of both being done by the brethren
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #47
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

I can't think of much that goes on my WSCG or in the LSG cabinet that doesn't get smoked. I'm a big fan of indirect smoking to bring it up to temp and then a sear to make it pretty. Steaks, chops, thick burgers, chicken, they all take a smoke bath before I char them up.

Veggies... Maybe veggies might be the only thing I don't really smoke, more just sear...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #48
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

this time of year, I'm 100% grilling (winter's in N. IL sucks). when the weather breaks I still lean more toward grilling probably about 4:1 but that is mostly because my kids are involved in summer sports which means I'm involved with sports as a coach so time is limited. i've only got one more season and they are all in High School so I'm hoping that ratio is going to change in a year or two

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #49
sloandsteady
Full Fledged Farker

80% Grilling, 20% Smoking
sloandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #50
Smokiemon
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Ha.. don’t bring Chinese and Korean barbecue into the mix. They both are grilled/roasted dishes but the ignorance of the public can’t tell the difference between grilling and barbecue so the translation stuck.

If someone does not know the difference between grilling and barbecuing then let’s educate them.
Wow....

— William Shakespeare

LSG Insulated Cabinet
Webber Summit Gasser
WSM 18.5
Webber Kettle 22.5
Thermapen [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
BOOGAC
Smokiemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #51
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

when I've traveled to Sao Paulo on biz my friends down there (speaking english) will say let's go out for barbecue. what they mean is a Fogo de Chao style place (what we call a brazilian steakhouse). it is most assuredly not BBQ, but it is really damn good so I don't really care what they call it!!! :D

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #52
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Using a term to its definition is not being narrow minded. Just wanted to point that out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #53
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

I grill (indirect mostly) 5-6 nights a week at grilling temps (above 300F). I smoke at much lower temps (225-275) 3-4 times a month.
So going the math, it would be 17.77% smoking and 82.23% grilling.
Disclaimer: This is based on the assumption that smoking is using a wood or charcoal/wood combination at <300F and grilling is charcoal, wood or any combination of the above at temps of 300F+

Old 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #54
Grillard
On the road to being a farker

About 95% smoking. I can't remember exactly the last time I grilled anything.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #55
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I grill (indirect mostly) 5-6 nights a week at grilling temps (above 300F). I smoke at much lower temps (225-275) 3-4 times a month.
Disclaimer: This is based on the assumption that smoking is using a wood or charcoal/wood combination at <300F and grilling is charcoal, wood or any combination of the above at temps of 300F+
I like the math but you excluded gas grills from your disclaimer
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #56
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Using a term to its definition is not being narrow minded. Just wanted to point that out.
Whats "your" definition of bbq?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #57
smoke ninja

Quote:
Illustrates my point.

By your definition ive never had bbq chicken. My favorite pulled pork is also on my wood fired drum....direct raised heat over 300 degrees. It tastes alot like bbq to me

Old 01-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #58
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Illustrates my point.

By your definition ive never had bbq chicken. My favorite pulled pork is also on my wood fired drum....direct raised heat over 300 degrees. It tastes alot like bbq to me

Yea.
That’s why I qualified my statement. The definition of “BBQ”is all over the map, depending on who you ask.

I used my own personal definition.

Note: I don’t like bbq chicken, but I’ll eat the heck out of some grilled chicken.

Note 2: The latest HnF trend is not bbq by my definition and I’m okay with that.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #59
smoke ninja

Quote:
Yea.
That’s why I qualified my statement. The definition of “BBQ”is all over the map, depending on who you ask.

I used my own personal definition.

Note: I don’t like bbq chicken, but I’ll eat the heck out of some grilled chicken.

Note 2: The latest HnF trend is not bbq by my definition and I’m okay with that.
I hear you john. I understand this is a talk about semantics. The chicken thing i agree and thats kinda my point. If you limited yourself to bbq chicken (low and slow indirect) then your missing out on the best way to fix it imo.

I just found this

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/barbecue

barbecue
[bahr-bi-kyoo]
noun
pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

barbecue
[bahr-bi-kyoo]
noun
pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

verb (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

verb (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:
If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

Origin of barbecue
1655–65; < Spanish barbacoa < Arawak (perhaps Taino) barbacoa a raised frame of sticks

Heres my point made visual (i believe amazingribs.com is the source)

Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #60
SirPorkaLot

Default your grilling : smoking ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I hear you john. I understand this is a talk about semantics. The chicken thing i agree and thats kinda my point. If you limited yourself to bbq chicken (low and slow indirect) then your missing out on the best way to fix it imo.

I just found this

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/barbecue

barbecue
[bahr-bi-kyoo]
noun

barbecue
[bahr-bi-kyoo]
noun

a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

verb (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

verb (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:
If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

Origin of barbecue
1655–65; < Spanish barbacoa < Arawak (perhaps Taino) barbacoa a raised frame of sticks

Heres my point made visual (i believe amazingribs.com is the source)

Yup!
When we start trying to define “BBQ” it is a slippery slope.

Heck folks out here in California think firing up a gas grill to cook some hot dogs is having a “BBQ”

Of course they have a lot weird ideas out here, so I overlook them