MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #121
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS has a history of husband and wife on the Board together. Gary and Carolyn and at least on two other occations. There is nothing new but the difference in past the Board was a rubber stamp for what ever the leadership wanted to do, if you don't believe that talk to Ed Roith. Now KCBS has grown inspite of bad business policies and there are those on the Board that want the Board to be more responcive to the membership. Bad habits die hard and some don't want it to die.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #122
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I sent a letter to all of the BOD early this morning. Here it is:
It is with my deepest concern to write to all of you about the motion made by Troy Black to adopt a Nepotism rule and invoke it for the KCBS. BS is what stands out to me here. I believe the voice of the voters was heard in the last election and to my knowledge no one has a problem with a husband and a wife both serving on the BOD as long as there is no questionable practices taking place.
As a paying member of the KCBS I am beginning to become more concerned with the motion and possibly question some of the ethics and integrity of motion's author. I urge as a member in good standing that this motion be rescinded and put to rest.
James D. Fitzsimmons
"BBQ with Attitude!"
This reply was sent from Don Harwell:
Dear James,
First of all I want to thank you very much for your email to me regarding this nepotism issue. I will be printing out all of the emails that I've received and personally carrying them to the meeting tonight, February 8th. I am trying very hard to be sure that the members are spoken for at the board meetings and these many emails will certainly support my efforts.
I personally think that the membership spoke when they made their choices in the election for board of directors. I do not favor the policy being considered and if put to a vote, then I will vote against any restrictions regarding who can or can not run for the board of directors positions.
I am very much in favor of having the actions and discussions of the board open to members of KCBS, all members both what is coming up for discussion, i.e. the agenda made available in advance to the members as well as the minutes readily available soon after the meeting. In fact it is my dream that perhaps we can eventually even make a recorded podcast available to all members. There are many things that are happening that should be brought to the members' attention.
Thanks again for your email,
Don Harwell
......and I also received this response from Merl Whitebrook:
Thank you for your message to the BOD. Please ask a friend to write as well. I received a call last night that Troy believes he still has the votes. The BOD needs to hear the message of the members loud and clear. Thank you again for writing to the BOD. Remember you can get copies of the agenda by writing to Carolyn at the office. We need to hear from our members about issues.
Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook
Hmmm funny that Troy Black hasn't responded.
If there was any way on earth I could get up there for the meeting tonight I would in a heartbeat. If anyone from Columbia is going, I can drive to Columbia if you'll allow me to ride along. Call me at 573-896-8547 or 573-230-9174 if anyone is going. ~Jim

Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #123
AsstChief7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just noticed something... if you used the link on the KCBS site to email all of the BOD's, sorry to say, but the newly elected ones are NOT on the email list.

Chief
AsstChief7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #124
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I received replies from 4 BOD's yesterday ... although I don't believe mine were word for word the same. Eitherway, good to know that some of the BOD's agree.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #125
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome replies, RCS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion View Post
KCBS has a history of husband and wife on the Board together. Gary and Carolyn and at least on two other occations. There is nothing new but the difference in past the Board was a rubber stamp for what ever the leadership wanted to do, if you don't believe that talk to Ed Roith. Now KCBS has grown inspite of bad business policies and there are those on the Board that want the Board to be more responcive to the membership. Bad habits die hard and some don't want it to die.
Jim, is there any way at all to look at this other than as a politically-motivated move? I mean, has nepotism ever been a problem?

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #126
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Glad to see there is somewhere where this issue can still be discussed.
I hear ya Chris.....was in the middle of reading responces when ..POOF....deleted. In fact, anything pertaining to this issue was deleted. Kinda makes one wonder what's on who's agenda,and who the puppeteer might be?

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #127
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I was in the middle of typing a reply and poof. Therefore I started a new thread just now. As of a minute ago it was still there.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #128
Arlin_MacRae

Good luck with that, Bobby!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #129
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Mr. Black did respond to my original email questioning if Carol would be allowed to be a BOD mdmber. "There is nothing in the policy being discussed that would prevent any elected director from serving their term as elected.
Troy" I then asked about how it would imapct others and again expressed the opinion that it was not a good motion. Sent it to all members. Troy didn't respond to that one.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #130
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I tell ya what though, after today I think I've realized that the problems do not end with one certain board member. Now I think I get the good ole boys (err, people) comment.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #131
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

My prediction for tonight. Mr. Black will withdraw the motion. It will appear on a future agenda at 72 hours and 1 minute before the meeting. That or the new president will force a vote and get his defeated once and for all.

And I loved the deleted post on another Forum. If anybody has a copy and could post it here It would be nice to see. Especially that part about us writing advertisers complaining about what's going on with an organization they Sponsor.

At this rate I'll go from "on the road to being a farker" to a "farker" in a couple of days. First thing I do tomorrow is check this site, even before making coffee. Early to bed for me and I expect that the BOD meeting may go awhile.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #132
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Did Ray used to be on the board?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #133
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I posted a comment of that Dictatorship of a forum and it got nixed within a minute of it being posted. And to think I used to really like that forum.....at least until my freedom of speech was taken away. Thanks Phil for this OPEN forum where we can have a voice. Yeah...me thinks Ray is getting something from someone over there. Hmmmm.....
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #134
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I posted a comment of that Dictatorship of a forum and it got nixed within a minute of it being posted. And to think I used to really like that forum.....at least until my freedom of speech was taken away. Thanks Phil for this OPEN forum where we can have a voice. Yeah...me thinks Ray is getting something from someone over there. Hmmmm.....
Fitz - I have to disagree with you on this one. We all owe a lot to Ray. Would this even be here if Ray hadn't started his? Would the KCBS be where it is today? And I don't mean this current mess. If he decides that the posts violate his rules and some certainly did then he can delete them. He certainly has built a business addition out of the Forum with ads but compared to the time he puts in ..... And people get cheap hosting for their sites.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #135
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Mod note:
As long as everyone keeps it civil and doesn't start taking pot shots at one another, then you have policed yourselves and discussions like this can remain OPEN...

But beleive me, there is no less than 8 pairs of eyes keeping a watch on things here just in case someone would tend to "drift" a little....

I must commend the posters in the comps forum.....you all show the same class here as you do out on the road....I'm proud to be one of you!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote