MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpellethead View Post
I understand the concerns you folks have about this motion. Please keep two things in mind. First, it's a motion to be considered at the February board meeting. It is not a KCBS policy. Second, even if passed, in my opinion it could not be retroactive to effect Carol & Merl Whitebook.

Continue to send your message to the board to voice your views as members, however be clear to the board that you know this is an issue to be decided on in the next meeting. So far, the few e-mails I have received indicate that the writers believe this is a new policy. It is not.

Rod
In light of objections by a number of members questioning two family members sitting on the KCBS Board at the same time, I propose the following added to the agenda for a vote in Friday's board meeting.

"I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black"

Rod thanks for your input, but now Im really confused, the motion states adoption of POLICY with change to be effective next January...so yes its a motion as you stated and I doubt it will get resolved tomorrow night, but is in fact to adopt policy ...right?

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Correct me if I'm wrong ... Troy's the one with his hand in the MMA cookie jar right?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Default KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBS Proposal
In light of objections by a number of members questioning two family members sitting on the KCBS Board at the same time, I propose the following added to the agenda for a vote in Friday's board meeting.
I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board members parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black
Merl and Carol will not be the first husband and wife to be on the Board at the same time, it has been the case a couple of times over the years. BUT it seems that not only do the members not need to know what is going on, the great unwashed are not bright enough to choose Board members.
If Troy's motion were the case from the start, let's see would Gary and Carolyn been able to play the roles they did?
This move is to limit Merl's ability to run for a second term on the Board. Merl has pushed the Board in directions that many on BOD have not wanted to go. The reason you now can get a copy of the agenda and sign up to speak at a Board meeting is because of the work Merl has done.
Half plus 1 of the last Board saw no problems in an e-mail smear campaign to try to keep Carol off the Board. Carol recieved 43% of the total vote but the members don't know what's good for KCBS so let's make a rule to limit any opposition voice on the Board.
As a Board member I was limited by rule to what I could publicly say about policies the Board was going to make or did make, there is a group of Board members that want what they want, open discussion with member input is not something they want to deal with.
If you liked the amount of information and the voice you have with KCBS in the past then say nothing but if as members of KCBS you would like a voice in the direction KCBS is headed let the Board know how you feel about this motion.
Respectfully Submitted,
Jim Minion
Here is the Board members e-mail addresses.

copy and paste and let them know how you feel
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong ... Troy's the one with his hand in the MMA cookie jar right?
From my understanding it was Mr Troy Black that had a hissy fit and resigned last year when it looked like the MMA might not be approved. A month later stating he really didn't mean it.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

I really can not believe this is worth this much time over. I mean serisouly as FARK.COM would put in the header - Haveing solved all other major problems the BOD is now tryign to change voter wishes.

WOW - is all I can say.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Your right, it takes the voting away from KCBS members. It might as well just be a good ole boys club again. I have asked many times for the bylaws, a financial report and many other items. I finally got the by laws after years of asking, but nothing else. Why is everything sure a secret? What do we not deserve to know? This is crazy! I have asked who the letters and emails are from and were told they dont think they can say who wrote them, another secret? If the people dont want the membership to know who they are it should not be a issue to them. This board needs to get back to management of KCBS and let the members vote in who they want.
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBeasley View Post
Sorry I did email this to all board members!

Here was my 2cents!
I did not vote for a husband and wife members of the board because I did not want to water down the vote I placed. However the vote is in and counted and we now have a Husband and Wife team on the board GREAT We VOTED it should stand and not be discounted as this is a family oriented community where we have many cooks, judges, and active members who are married to their best friends and should be allowed to work together in what they Love BBQ!
Do not insult my integrity or theirs by gracing the below request! Also we need to question the submitter to his ethics in this matter!

I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black
Charles Beasley
Charles
Based on that idea had this been a rule from the start Gary and Carolyn could not have done the work they did. Carolyn could have never been the Ex Director. This is to keep merl from running for re-election.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I do not agree with the proposed policy and I have let my feeling be heard through emails to all of the board members I really hope everyone who has a feelings about this or any other issues lets their voice be heard. For or Against It doesn't matter to me if you feel that something is unjust or just you should let the board members know how you feel if they do not get feedback from members they will have no idea on how we feel about the topics they are discussing.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Jim I understand the implications. Present and future. I just hope that they kill the thought completely for now and next year as I see this as a family and participate as a family and hope it stays family oriented. It appears wrong to me. We have an elected board and we have a say I do not care if they are looking our for the world of BBQ if their dog runs next if he can make it better for those of us who are members! Thanks
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are Pro or Con it must be sent in today to voice your concern, they have the BOD meeting Friday.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #26
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I understand this is a proposal, I also see it as a witch hunt. I do however understand concerns of nepatism, but also see KCBS and BBQ as family oriented. The organization was founded by 2 family members and they are the ones that made KCBS.

I am working on a letter to KCBS now.. and please... 490+ of you voted for me.. I ask PLEASE type up a letter and send it to the KCBS board of directors. Even if its just a single sentence, send them something NOW.

Click this link to fire up your email client with the address loaded.

click here

or cut and paste this: [email protected];[email protected];[email protected];tblac [email protected];[email protected];[email protected];[email protected];lmull [email protected];[email protected];[email protected]

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

What exactly is a "Policy"?

Who is eligible or not to run for and/or sit on the board of directors would be covered under the Constitution and Bylaws? You can't legally institute a "policy" that would be in conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws. The Constitution and Bylaws itself would have to be amended the specific mechanism and requirements for doing so would be found within.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #28
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I feel sick to my stomach after reading all of this. No other way to put it.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

The root of nepotism rules is the fear of offering power or control to people who are assumed to be like minded. In the truest sense, it is offering concessions to family members. This really isn't the case since Merl didn't elect Carol to the board. The members did.

This could be a slippery slope if passed. Like minded people come in different forms: teammates, geographic regions, etc. There have been more complaints over a longer period of time that too many BOD members are from the Midwest. Why hasn't that been addressed before this?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #30
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Just a thought, would an online petition help?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote