Smoked Bacon Onion Rings

How long did you smoke them? Temp?

You really can't go wrong with temps. Just cook them until the bacon looks like it's supposed to look, nice and crispy, I could see these being "slow and low" like 225, and I could see them "hot and fast", like approaching 350(ish).

I am going to cook mine hot and fast as I want the bacon to crisp up. Low and slow would probably take too long to do that. I believe the original post by Grilling24X7 has a link that mentions 90 mins or until crispy.

I made these this weekend........pretty tasty. I think they would make a great burger topping.

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if applying your favorite rub on the outside of them would hurt? Think I'll try it.

Attempted these this weekend.
Couldn't get the bacon to crisp up. It was definitely cooked.
Maybe the onions were too moist.

Attempted these this weekend.
Couldn't get the bacon to crisp up. It was definitely cooked.
Maybe the onions were too moist.
What temp were you at? I've done ABT's as low as 225 and the bacon was perfect.

Hovered around 225-250.
This was the result.
I wrapped the bacon too tight and it pulled away fron the rings a bit.
20140503_182701_zpsc1d6eddb.jpg

These look amazing! They have been added to the Mother's Day menu. Can't wait to try them!

Didn't quite turn out as pretty, but everyone loved them. Bacon was too thick to really wrap the onion effectively.

Tried these this weekend. Farked them up good. Didn't cut the onion right. All I had was really thick bacon. But even with the bacon falling off and poorly sliced onions, they were pretty darn good. Will definately be trying them again. I was ready to throw them against the wall. I'd get the bacon just about right and it would uncoil on me over and over. I think thinner bacon is definately the key though.

Made these for Mothers day. These have mozzarella cheese in between the onion and bacon with Red Hot sweet chili sauce on them.

I took a whack at these on Mother's Day. Did half with pineapple slices, & half without. Here are my thoughts:

Highly recommend using regular sliced bacon, not thick cut. Regular cut made them much easier to construct. Also, the thick sliced bacon was just too much bacon / salt for my taste on the finished product. I did not expect to like the pineapple ones at all. Much to my surprise I actually enjoyed them more as the sweetness of the pineapple balanced out the saltiness of the bacon.

All in all, these turned out okay. They make quite the visual and the presentation can be quite the talker, but just not my favorite thing to eat. In hindsight I may have gotten caught up in the novelty of these, but Mama requested them after I showed her pics.

Attachments

• baconorings.jpg
    baconorings.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 92
Simply awesome!!! I think they should be called Baconion Rings!

Not sure how I missed this thread before, but Smokin John made these at the SoCal bash last week and I've been thinking about them ever since, so I'm making 'em today.

Does thinking about deep frying them mean there's something wrong with me? :noidea:

Not sure how I missed this thread before, but Smokin John made these at the SoCal bash last week and I've been thinking about them ever since, so I'm making 'em today.

Does thinking about deep frying them mean there's something wrong with me? :noidea:

Absolutely nothing wrong with you !!!

I've just never happened to have the deep fryer running at the same time......that will change......

I wrap kinda goofy, need to take a lesson from all these fine examples & use basically the same size piece......

PostWestCoastMeet019.jpg

Well yea...not so much the pit itself, but that amazing looking food that's cooking on it.
After all, it's all about the wonderful food!

Back