Need Help: Chicken/Ribs for 100 People

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How much of each of 2 meats, chicken and ribs for 100 people? There will also be BB and Tater salad. thanks for the input

Need to know who and how many of each you are cooking for. Is is mostly women and kids or the local football team. It matters.

Is it a buffet or plated? I think a good serving amount to figure would be 1.5 leg quarters and 3 bones per person but I've never catered the combo so so what others weigh in at. I'd also specify to the client how many bones they are getting per person for the price.

We just did a party for 130, and served chicken & ribs, BB & coleslaw. We did 1 leg/thigh, and 2 rib bones per person. So we used 130 leg/thigh pieces, & 26 racks of ribs. Quantities were just right, hardest part for us was getting everything cooked and done at the same time to feed the folks when serving started. We did it though. Each person got 1 piece of chicken & 2 ribs, no substitutions (like can I have 4 ribs instead of the chicken) hated to be the food police, but thats what the customer wanted. It there was food left after everyone was fed, then folks could come back for whatever they wanted.

I have run into several problems with this equation and I find it best to speak to the customer to find out their intent. For example, is each person expected to get both meats and are you serving or manning the food line. Sometimes people want the guests to have a choice of either meat, not both. It's best to find out what the specific customer means or expects. Also if you don't man the line, expect people to pile the meat up. As for a per person metric, 2 thighs and three bones is a good serving size.

Thanks all for the replies. It is a 4th of July party so it will be a mix of kids and adults but mostly adults. It will be a serve your self line. I selected 3 ribs and a leg/thigh for each person and I told this to the person and that he will have to have someone monitor the lines and he agreed. But you know how that goes :)

he will have to have someone monitor the lines and he agreed.
That's a bad joke, and a serious mistake.
The ribs will be gone, folks will complain. You get the blame.

Back