MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Kings over Queens
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I've yet to find an outlet at any tailgate
How about one of those power inverters for the car?

One of my clients is an Electrician. One day they are on a job and his employee goes into the back of the van with a cold cup of coffee that was leftover from break. A minute or so later he's back and its hot. The employee modified the van to include a nuker. It runs off the trucks power.

Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

I would definitely go the little Coleman route.

If you have a DC->AC power inverter, you could just get an el-cheapo single hot plate from Wally World ($15).

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I've yet to find an outlet at any tailgate
Ever heard of a generator? Mine has an outlet on it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

Trust me, I'm a big camping enthusiast and know what I'm talking about on this point. The classic coleman 2 burner stove is the way to go. Notice I say "classic" because I'm talking about coleman liquid fuel, not propane. Propane is okay but does not have the BTU's of coleman fuel and if you run it for very long, the lines will freeze, leaving you with not much flame. The propane stoves have become popular in recent years because they are considers "safer" by those who are afraid of handling liquid fuel. Trust me, the small propane cannisters don't work nearly as well and aren't nearly as reliable.

You can pick one up on ebay for less than $40 including shipping and it will last a lifetime. Look for a 425 or a 413. They are easy as cake to rebuild. They work well in wind, and you can pair it with a griddle and cook anything from hamburgers to pancakes. I've got two of them and a multitude of smaller backpacking stoves but the classic two burner is the best thing for "car camping," which is essentially the same thing as tailgating. I've cooked some great meals on mine and would not trade them for anything!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
btcg
Babbling Farker

I read an article once about long haul truckers, and they had made devices that hooked on and near their engines, so as they drove, the heat from the engine cooked the food and heated the water. At a certain point, they pulled over, removed them from the engine block, and they had their dinner and drinks.

One guy made something to heat his water for coffee.

This may not be practical, but I thought I'd toss it in.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

Check out 12 volt coffee makers.
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
As a scout leader/dad, tailgaitor etc I have a lot of experience in this. In fact last weekend I made hot coffee for me and the wife at the jets game spiked with jamisens and bailys

There is good advice here, just as an fyi Coleman does make a single table top burner that runs on the small propane that is far more stable that the camp stove in your picture and less bulky that their dual burners and the turkey fryers (all which are good), but the single tabletop burner is a good inexpensive alternative when space is limited and you need only one heat. This is what I use for tailgating. After making our coffee on Sunday, I put used it to heat up the sauerkraut.

You can pick up peculators in a number of sizes.

Attachment 58512
What lot do you tailgate? We are always in yellow parking between L14and L15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Ever heard of a generator? Mine has an outlet on it.
I bring more stuff to a jets tailgate than I do or comp BBQ, generator won't fit
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
maelstrom
Found some matches.

You could always try using a butane stove if space is an issue. Seems to work at asian hot pot places to keep a pot of broth hot/boiling.
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boiling, tailgate, water