MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Best way to grill salmon?

On weber kettle. Without grilling planks.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

I tend to add a sweeter dry rub, cook indirect first, with a mild wood for some smoke, then a quick finishing sear:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=121262

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

A little olive oil a little old bay. Hot and fast, 4 minutes a side depending on thickness.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I dont know of its the "best" but its pretty damn good

brush the fish with Dijon Mustard, roll it in panko crumbs.

grill it. it gets a crunchy crust kind of like fried
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

What temp should the grill be?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

Just about the temperature of the surface of the sun.

Hotter is better for fish. Drop it on and don't fuss with it until it's time to flip.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I like to go simple seasoning (oil / salt / pepper), super hot grill, flesh side down first until it releases easily when you rock it side to side with tongs (6 /7 minutes if it's a about a 1 to 1.5 inch thick cut). Flip to skin side down, finish 3 or 4 minutes until it pulls back a bit and you can slide your spatchula between the flesh and skin and lift it away already de-skinned!

Lately I'm very into the 50/50 mix of honey and srirachia sauce on most kinds of fish that people have posted about on here before.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I live in the Pacific Northwest and grill salmon a lot. I make a foil "boat" and put the fillets in it. I very sparsely sprinkle with sea salt, then pour over some Worcestershire and some Kikkoman soy. Let it marinate for an hour or two. Preheat your grill. Take a fresh lemon and your zester and get a nice pile of fresh lemon zest. Then cut the lemon in half and juice it. Melt some butter and add the lemon juice and zest. Get out a cheap Harbor Freight 1" chip brush - they make great basting brushes and a box of 100 is like six bucks. Put the salmon, still in its foil "boat", directly onto your grill. Brush on lemon butter generously. Put the lid on and start checking for doneness after 10 minutes (the time will vary with how hot your grill is). Grilled salmon has a narrow range of time between too rare and overdone so keep an eagle eye on. Keep basting with the lemon butter.

Over actual coals, as in a Weber kettle, you might also add some green rosemary twigs just before putting on the fish. That will add very fragrant smoke.

I mostly eat wild Alaskan king salmon fillets, and done this way they are WONDERFUL.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I cook a lot of salmon and I've done it every way I've seen. I get the highest approval using KISS, essentially grilled hot and fast. I season with Lawry's, black pepper and parsley. I usually heat the pit up around 400*-500*. Oil the grates with a paper towel and some vegetable oil. I put the salmon on and close vents or cut the gas to cut the temp down around 300* as quickly as possible. Salmon is flipped after about 3 minutes, then taken off after another 3 minutes. I want it seared and juicy on the outside and medium rare inside.

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

GROSS ME OUT! AHG PLOUGHY! If it live in the water I don't cook or eat it,sorry.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
On weber kettle. Without grilling planks.
I do mine on my kettle at 275. Indirect, little bit of hickory, salt and pepper. After its done, I chill it over night, and serve it cold. People love it.

Many many ways to do Salmon.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
GROSS ME OUT! AHG PLOUGHY! If it live in the water I don't cook or eat it,sorry.
Then why even comment?

I keep it simple as well. I season with a little lemon pepper season and a little butter and then cook skin side down, direct, for 3-4 minutes then flip for a couple of minutes to get some color and then back to skin side indirect to finish. I also prefer salmon medium rare.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
rlt
On the road to being a farker

I put it on the grill around 400 degrees. I make a compound butter with whatever kind of herb you want; I like dill. Put a generous portion of butter on the flesh side of the fish. Place the fish skin side down and don't touch it for 10 minutes. Then pull it off the grill. I like to serve it with the skin on. But, you can easily pull the skin off after the fish is cooked. Always remember to pull the pinbones before you cook the fish. Good luck.

Bobby

Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

On a cedar plank with an Asian glaze.

Oh, no planks? Easy, go en papillote.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #15
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep South View Post
Just about the temperature of the surface of the sun.

Hotter is better for fish. Drop it on and don't fuss with it until it's time to flip.
I always thought that most fish, hotter the better doesn't apply (except maybe salmon).