on-demand water heater for comp trailer?

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Is there such an animal? I'm looking for a small on-demand water heater that will hook up to a standard LP gas bottle and provide hot water to our trailer. Can someone give a recommendation?

I think I've seen them mentioned before here in Qtalk but the more I search, the more confusing it gets.

Thanks

Here is the one I'm putting in my comp/catering trailer. I bought this one from Excel on eBay. It was $40 less than on their website and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-gpm-LPG-Vent...item3caccf627a

Mack (Smoke'N Ice) has one and it seems to do well. I'm going to do like Mack and have it run off the 1lb disposable LP tanks.

Ty, thanks. I was a little quick on the draw. Reading thru your thread now.

As Ty indicated, I have been using for several years now and really do enjoy. Initial cost tends to be an issue and most folks use the coleman portable unit as I did at first. When It broke and I could not get parts, I bit the bullet and put in a real system. I will attempt to figure out how to put in a picture.

Mack

I think this is the picture!

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 259
yep, that pic helps alot. I need to arrange everything in my trailer, so I know what else I need.

Ty, I sent this to you seveal days ago with an expanation, did you get it?

Mack

Most of the comps I go to has water & electric provided. So, I'm going to set mine up with no pump and tank initially. Does the water heater work as good as they say?

I would recommend the ventless unit and make sure there is plenty of air flow in the area and install a co detector. The tank has a built in safty to prevent working if insufficient oxygen. It actually works better than you would believe. It can get too hot so need to play with flow rate through the unit (dial on front of heater) to get the right temperature which will depend on the inlet water temperature.

I went with the pump, accumulator & heater as the length of water hose required at some of the contests weight more than the smoker.:idea: I just have an inlet with a check valve from an RV store that accepts the hose and a flat 25 foot hose. If water is available, the pump does not run and I don't fill the 21 gallon holding tank. This is usually sufficient for a contest. I also have a hose tee to run from the hot water to outside the trailer for hosing off sheet pans, cutting boards, feet, etc.

I've been using an Ecco L5 for the last year on my trailer setup - works like a charm! I plan on building one into my new trailer asap - it ran about $120 for the unit and has been worth every penny. I think an accumulator tank is almost a requirement for these units but you can get a small one from Shur-flo that should work. I used a 2 gallong accumulator tank from Lowe's and it worked just fine. We also had a 40 gal water tank and 35 grey water tank.

I just bought that same lp water heater and also want to run it off the 1lb tanks. Can you tell me were you got the gas line? I am not having any luck searching for that online.

I also have a question about how hot the exhaust is on the heater. It looks like you have it mounted right under your sink. I assume the exhaust is not very hot.

Nate

Last edited:
Exhause is not hot, but, it is the ventless unit. The L5 which is what I had before can get warm. It will heat up a trailer if you run it any lenght of time but an AC helps. Any good bbq supply store carry the gas lines. They are used to hook up outside pits to natural gas and the regulator is from the same place. It's a weber I think.
Mack

Exhause is not hot, but, it is the ventless unit. The L5 which is what I had before can get warm. It will heat up a trailer if you run it any lenght of time but an AC helps. Any good bbq supply store carry the gas lines. They are used to hook up outside pits to natural gas and the regulator is from the same place. It's a weber I think.
Mack

Thanks. I thought the hose and regulator were one piece. The regulator is the part I am having trouble finding. If someone can tell me where to get one that fits the disposable bottles, I would appreciate it.

Nate

Weber part number 3643 and the cost is less than $10. You will need an adapter to go from the gas line to the regulator (big thread to small thread) available at most places that sell gas equipment or BBQ equipment such as BBQ Galore.
Mack

Great info. Thanks.

Is it possible to hook up this unit (or the Ecco L5) with quick disconnects of some sort? I would like to use it with my comp sink and also take it camping to hookup an outdoor shower.

Just curious if you guys are using a water tank and pump or an RV hose hookup (or both) to supply your water? I never really paid too much attention to my tent trailer hookups , but this is all good info.

BTW-I just picked up a Weber Go-Anywhere grill for $5 -I just wanted the handles and was about ready to chuck the regulator until I saw this post.

Back