• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Pitmasters

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm watching a re-run of the BBQ Pitmasters season 2 and you know what. It ain't no better the 2nd time around.

Maybe I need some education since I'm new to Q... What is it that people don't like about this show? I have enjoyed watching them and have learned quite a bit. I can see that a lot of the stuff they do in these competitions are a bit outside the box from a standard competition, but that's what I find interesting about the show. Lots of neat ideas and different ways to look at things.

I'm watching it right now too. At least it's Q related. Yes, it's come to that.

Maybe I need some education since I'm new to Q... What is it that people don't like about this show? I have enjoyed watching them and have learned quite a bit. I can see that a lot of the stuff they do in these competitions are a bit outside the box from a standard competition, but that's what I find interesting about the show. Lots of neat ideas and different ways to look at things.

Season 1 was pretty darned good, and you got to see quite a bit of competition stuff. Season 2, more of a reality TV thing going on, and cooking turducken, etc. I mean really, c'mon, that's not barbecue...

Some of the largest 'beefs' were...
1. The lack of blind judging
2. Needing better judge credentials (except for Myron).
3. Obscure foods ala Chopped
4. Good Smokin' Luck!

However do realize its for the general public's interest and the there are unseen driving forces trying to shape a tv series.

I really enjoyed season one and have a special place for it in my heart since it's really what got me kooked on this awesome obsession! But I have to agree with everybody that dislikes season two. Anybody know if there is a third season coming out? Hopefully it's just like season one if so.

THe closest thing to season 3 was the Ultimate BBQ Showdown that played on CBS back in June.

I can tell when they show the " whole hog on a block pit" episode... my blog gets swamped. :-D lol

Your blog for whole hog on a blog is awesome cowgirl, I read it intently a couple times. Gonna do it next summer

By the way, it is impossible to find the season one DVD set or even more than 2 minute clips on YouTube. I'd pay good money for that if it was available.

Your blog for whole hog on a blog is awesome cowgirl, I read it intently a couple times. Gonna do it next summer

Thank you Glenn, I hope you do give it a try. They are a lot easier to do than they look, and the more of them you do the easier it gets. :-D

Yea but I sure wish it was back on TV. Several of the Brethren got some good air time that would help their business grow.

I say bring it back!!!!!

Thanks! I'll certainly be pming you when I get ready for it :)

What burns my a$$ about it is the waste of food... get three briskets in the smoker and then tank in the dumba$$ PitFire Challenge®, throw three perfectly good briskets in the trash!!!!!!!! :mad2:

Watching the competition ones, where they are actually in different cities/towns, makes one believe that they have a chance entering and winning a competition. I went to one today (spectator, haven't competed yet, but want to) and I tried a competition team's brisket after talking with him a bit. I said thanks and walked away. As soon as I could find a napkin, I discarded it...it was that bad. Not sure if they have separate briskets to give away to people that come up to their tents, but it was really bad.

By the way, it is impossible to find the season one DVD set or even more than 2 minute clips on YouTube. I'd pay good money for that if it was available.

I Tunes has 1 and 2 seasons

I have to agree. I have no idea what they were thinking with season 2. I do not understand how you can have a great season one and a season 2 joke. Drop the the annoying host and ridiculous challenges. Get seasoned real pitmaster judges, not someone who cant make his mind if he needs more sauce or less. Myron was the true judge and the others must have paid to be on the show. Season 3 must be better or I see a cancelation in the near future. Maybe have Myron Mixon and Chris Lilly go head to head.

You can also buy each episode for season 1 on Amazon tv that downloads to your computer. I think they are I think $1.99 each. There are roughly 10 of them.

Back