MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete
Default Blown away by the economy of lump and WSM-pron

I've recently made the switch from KBB to lump.

Last week I did a rack of spares on the WSM using the "new" Cowboy lump (now available for a great price at True Value. Go to the website for an even sweeter deal.)

Prepped another rack this a.m. and opened up the WSM and was amazed at the amount of good fuel left and the amazingly small amount of ash.

I know the veterans here are aware of the reasons to go lump, but I wanted to let the newbies know that lump is probably at least as economical as reg. briq.s, maybe more so, and has so much less ash you won't believe it. So, take advantage of the T.V. Cowboy deal! (Not affiliated in any way, shape or form w/ T.V., Cowboy, or their subsidiaries, associates, families or friends.)

Here's what was left from that earlier cook, which started w/ a full ring and nearly-full lit chimney and cooked for ~5 hrs @ ~280:

Nice chunks and

so little ash.

A few close-ups

Bigger chunks go back in the ring for today's cook

Here's what's left of the reusable smaller stuff

Enough to fill a chimney

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting. What difference do you specifically notice in product after making the switch from kbb to lump?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

Gotta try it again. Used to be bad.
Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Interesting. What difference do you specifically notice in product after making the switch from kbb to lump?
Not really enough data as yet. If I had to answer, I'd say none.

I never detected the KBB "off taste" as others have, (unless I put the meat on before the fire calmed down).

Another variable is the minimal rub (S&P) I used for that cook as opposed to a multi-spiced/layered one while using KBB. The timing of the switch to lump and minimal rub is mostly coincidental, although I'm entering a "let the meat shine through" phase in my Q-ing. Less rub, sauce on the side.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Vision asked the question of the day.

When I switched I switched from kbb and lighter fluid to Cowboy lump there was a night a day difference in my opinion. I think that may be more because of the chimney and not lighter fluid.

So KBB may not be that bad in retrospect if I light it in a chimney. The amount of ash was the biggest reason for the switch to lump.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teltum View Post
The amount of ash was the biggest reason for the switch to lump.

Same here. The difference is astounding, and makes any increase in cost (if there is any) worthwhile imo.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Gentlemen.... return to the roots of BBQ and toss the briqs.

Lump is what BBQ is made from. Why go thru the drill of buying quality food and cooking it with a mix of noxious unknown ingredients that make up much of what most briqs are today. Know your food..... KNOW YOUR FUEL!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teltum View Post
Vision asked the question of the day.

When I switched I switched from kbb and lighter fluid to Cowboy lump there was a night a day difference in my opinion. I think that may be more because of the chimney and not lighter fluid.

So KBB may not be that bad in retrospect if I light it in a chimney. The amount of ash was the biggest reason for the switch to lump.
KBB charcoal is fine charcoal to use. Starting it in a chimney and you will get a nice clean burn with it without the taste of petrolium products.

I switch between lump charcoal and briqs depending on what is onsale as well as using a mixture of both. The amount of ash produced by briqs though makes using them in my Mini's tougher as they will fill the ash bowl much quicker.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

KBB briqs are easier IMO, but I like the lump. I easily get double the ash on briqs if not more.

Side note, I have that same boot tray, but mine has boots in it

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbchip View Post
Gentlemen.... return to the roots of BBQ and toss the briqs.

Lump is what BBQ is made from. Why go thru the drill of buying quality food and cooking it with a mix of noxious unknown ingredients that make up much of what most briqs are today. Know your food..... KNOW YOUR FUEL!
Unless you make your own lump, no telling what scrap wood companies use to make lump, works both ways.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Unless you make your own lump, no telling what scrap wood companies use to make lump, works both ways.
That sounds like a valid argument, yet I'd rather guess at the "wood" (I use Frontier Hardwood Lump) than guess what's ground up, pulverized and added to the briqs.

So far I have not smelled that burning "junk yard" smell from lump as we do briqs

Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
YourNameHere
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I did my first ever smoke with kbb and it worked well enough but created tons of ash. After that I switched to cowboy lump and haven't looked back. It can be a pain to get the fire going.
YourNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

today i picked up my 6th bag of the cowboy lump i got on sale at TV. i also use KBB but only when i'm doing short cooks that dont need to be high temp.....and the ash is waaaay better with lump

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Jeep
On the road to being a farker

Does lump ever go on sale like kbb?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Does lump ever go on sale like kbb?

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->