Question for you Kamado, Egg or Akorn guy's

K80Shooter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on your temp probes. When you guy's are cooking indirect where do you try to place your temp probe for you pit temp?

I have found it will give you diff. readings depending on where you put it. I cooked a brisket yesterday and going by my thermometer the pit stayed at 250* for the cook.

Two things happened, one the brisker got done way sooner than I thought it would. The brisket trimmed out at 11.86lbs so I was thinking maybe 12-15 hours. It was done in 11 hours. The second problem was I cooked it fat side up. The problem here was that the bottom of the brisket formed a hard crust which could not be ate. I lost all that wonderful bark.

I am attaching a pic showing where the temp probe was. I always try keeping it over the plate setter, maybe it was too close to me meat giving me a false reading. I know I have done this before and try to make sure not to do it.

Attachments

• Brisket 2-1.jpg
    Brisket 2-1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Brisket 3-1.jpg
    Brisket 3-1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 129
Whenever I do brisket or pork butts on my KJ or UDS, I always do fat side down to insulate the meat from the heat source.

I place my pit probe on the back end of the meat probe. This way it is near the top of the meat and away from the grate and any potential flare ups.

Fat down on an egg,ALWAYS.I do not use thermometers when cooking on my BGE.you may want to calibrate your dome thermometer.Pull it out,put the tip in boiling water to check it.If it is not reading close to 210-215 then you need to adjust it.

An hour per pound at 250 sound about right.

I just use the dome thermometer. I've calibrated it, but really, as long as it reads the same each cook I don't care. The meat is done when it is done

Honestly I put mine where there is room.. I can say it has probably never been in the same spot twice.. My akorn thermo is right around 50 degrees off so I honestly rarely use a external thermo.

Back