MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking gtr's First Whole Pig - long and pron heavy.

I got a 58# pig the other day. I (actually we - my awesome neighbor Roland came over at 4:30 am to help) stuck a wood chunk in his mouth so we could get the apple in later. It took both of us to pry the mouth open and get the chunk in. I rubbed the inside of the pig with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I figured I'd keep it simple my first time out and I'm glad I did - I'll probably stick to the simple approach for a while.

I think bigabyte may have gotten to him.

He fit real good in my beloved Klose. Next time I'm gonna try and 80#er and see how that fits.

I cooked 225-250 for a few hours, starting with the hams toward the firebox at 5:30 am. I used hickory throughout the cook.

At 8:30 am we spun the critter 180 degrees and cooked a few more hours - I backed down temps to 200-225 'cause the hams were - well I don't remember what the temps were, but it seemed like a good idea to slow things down a bit.

At 11:30 we spun it again and went back to cooking at 225-250. I noticed a difference in doneness not only from the front and back of the pig, but also from the left to the right - nothing to worry about, just something to pay attention to. I was feeling pretty good when we took him out at around 3:30 for a total cook time of 10 hours. I think the IT was somewhere around 180, and it was definitely probe tender.

Since it was a party and all, I figured he'd wanna dress up a little bit while he rested for about an hour.

I was feeling really good about things when I cut the skin back (next few pics were taken by a friend). The meat was pretty much all pullable. We got pretty close to 2 full pans of meat.

Who among us doesn't love a little head?

I think I know what I wanna be for Halloween next year.

It takes a long time to take a pig apart, which was something that never occurred to me until I was in the middle of doing it. Luckily there were Brethren nearby, and Marty (Campdude) threw some gloves on and got down to business (I don't have a pic of that - my hands were a little greasy!). Marty also brought tortillas and a couple of awesome salsas, which I put over some ribs and ate today - seriously good eats right there! He also brought a couple of pies that disappeared instantly.

Ray (Silverfinger) and his crew came over & our kids all got to running around and having fun. Ray brought some bacon fried rice that knocked everybody's socks off - off the farkin chain!

Matt (Enkidu), his wife and unbelievably cute 8 month old son came over as well, and his smoked mac & cheese was crazy good and big hit. His bro Chris, another Brethren (browna65) and his lovely lady came as well.

We had a lot of folks come over who brought a lot of great food, and the Brethren stood proud in a very strong field of delicious eats! It was really nice to meet you guys in person and I really look forward to seeing you guys again. I can honestly say that all the Brethren I've met in person are some seriously cool farkers. Thanks for the great grub and the help y'all!

It was a great party and the pig was farking delicious and tender - I'm chalking it up to beginner's luck. I can't wait to do it again. I was surprised at how well the smoke flavor got in the pig - much better than I expected.

I gotta give props to the knowledgeable and lovely Jeanie (cowgirl), who gave the final approval of my pig cooking plan as well as the inspiration for cooking a pig in the first place. I can't wait to cook another one - and next time I'm gonna learn a little more about taking a pig apart - I kinda just pulled this one apart. I'm sure there's a good method I'm unaware of = but the meat got et, and that's what's really important!

I'm making pork stock with the bones right now and it smells really good.

Thanks for looking!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Bravo!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
bigabyte

Fan-farking-tastic!

I love the new look!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

What a great time that had to be.

The pig looks delicious.

Outstanding!

Dave
VA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
fan-farking-tastic!

I love the new look!
+1!!!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Boshizzle

Very nice, gtr!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

Nice!
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nicely done for your first time! Sounds like a fantastic get together! I admire all of you that tackle cooking a whole hog, I'm not that brave!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
mikerobes
On the road to being a farker

That meat looks perfect, great job. Problem is, now you'll always have that job

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Man now that right there is some good looking pig!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job Awesome!!!!!
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

gtr what is the size of your pit?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
gtr what is the size of your pit?
50" long, 20" diameter. I took out the top shelf and I think I had around 6" to spare on the length.

Thanks for the kinds words y'all!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
50" long, 20" diameter. I took out the top shelf and I think I had around 6" to spare on the length.

Thanks for the kinds words y'all!
Ahh ok ill be getting a 24x40 in March so just wanred to girt an idea of space Thanks can't wait to see what you do next!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
deepsouth

banGin

Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Attaboy!!!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote