MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default My blackstone won't get hot

Has anyone else had this issue? I had it on high for about an hour last night and the surface never got hot enough to even pop any oil. This was only my second time using it. Outside temp was around 70 and little wind.

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Did you look at the flames? Could somethign be blocking the gas flow? Spider webs?

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

If it's lit, but low flame no matter what the setting, sounds like the propane regulator/safety needs to be reset. Turn the BS off and close the propane valve tank. Disconnect the propane hose from the propane tank and wait about 30 seconds. Reconnect the propane hose. Slowly turn open the tank valve. Now go ahead and fire up the BS. In the future, make sure your turn off the valves on the BS first, then close the propane valve tank. If the BS valves are "on" when you open the propane tank valve, it will trip the safety. Here's a video on the procedure. https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...PZ-gSC34m4Bw57

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^ this

I had this problem with my 22” two burner model connected to a regular 20lb propane tank. Once I took the advice above and slowly opened my tank I never had an issue again.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
BDAABAT
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Mmmm...I've had issues in the past with gas cookers that didn't get to temp as expected. Could be one of the safety features of the propane system trying to "help" you.

Might want to try turning the cooker off, unhooking the propane bottle for a minute, then re-attach the propane, and then opening the valve from the bottle slowly. Then re-try to fire it up.

Good luck!
Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
If it's lit, but low flame no matter what the setting, sounds like the propane regulator/safety needs to be reset. Turn the BS off and close the propane valve tank. Disconnect the propane hose from the propane tank and wait about 30 seconds. Reconnect the propane hose. Slowly turn open the tank valve. Now go ahead and fire up the BS. In the future, make sure your turn off the valves on the BS first, then close the propane valve tank. If the BS valves are "on" when you open the propane tank valve, it will trip the safety. Here's a video on the procedure. https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...PZ-gSC34m4Bw57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAABAT View Post
Mmmm...I've had issues in the past with gas cookers that didn't get to temp as expected. Could be one of the safety features of the propane system trying to "help" you.

Might want to try turning the cooker off, unhooking the propane bottle for a minute, then re-attach the propane, and then opening the valve from the bottle slowly. Then re-try to fire it up.

Good luck!
Bruce

I had the same problem with my Blackstone pizza oven. This worked fine!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
1MoreFord
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

You don't have to disconnect. Turn off the BS, then the tank valve. Bang the tank down on a hard object. Then Slowly open the tank and then the BS. This should dislocate the safety check ball in the tank valve. Repeat harder if necessary.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn & Original Ok Joe Vertical Roasting Oven hybrid, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
Papa Don
Full Fledged Farker

Try contacting black stone for a different regulator.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #9
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

I called customer service on this a while back.

According to customer service, the regulator has a "safety mechanism" in it. When that mechanism gets tripped, the regulator limits the amount of fuel it will let go to the burners. The 20lb tank can cause it to trip.

Customer service's suggestion.

Take tank, adapter hose, regulator, griddle, all apart and leave sit for 1 minute - the regulator will reset.

Re-attach in this order.

tank to adapter hose -> adapter hose to regulator -> regulator to griddle.

Then, open the tank SLOWLY. If opened quickly it will trip regulator.
Then light the griddle.

Worked for me. After a few minutes, my griddle temperature was around 550º

Old 06-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #10
Dplorable
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I had the same problem with my weed burner, the propane supply hose was too long and it would trip the safety. To counter this I pinch the supply line in half a coupla feet from the regulator and then turn the valve on before releasing the pinch. Works every time.

Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?
Dplorable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone. I took it apart and restarted it last night and it got hot. It seems to be very temperamental. I also now have an empty tank of gas.

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #12
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw02kr43 View Post
I also now have an empty tank of gas.

Jason
Is anyone cheaper than Sam's for refills?
$14.97

Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #13
BDAABAT
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Glad it's working again Jason!

Sometimes helps to start slowly and to not turn the valve on the propane to be all the way open.

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
Speeed
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAABAT View Post

Sometimes helps to start slowly and to not turn the valve on the propane to be all the way open.
Was taught in welding class (30 years ago) not to completely open valves on tanks.
That way if something goes wrong you're not having to spin the valve a bunch of revolutions to close it. Only crack the valve.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmad View Post
Is anyone cheaper than Sam's for refills?
$14.97
I take mine to Tractor Supply and they refill my tanks off theirs, it’s definitely cheaper than most “tank swap” places but I don’t recall how much I usually pay per tank…want to say it’s under $10.