FIRST FATTYYYYYY (lots of pron)

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
"What we do in life; echoes in eternity."

No better words were spoken (or written for a movie, rather) to describe the emotional, physical, nasal (even) and dare I say, spiritual experience of one's first fatty. I didn't have anything specific in mind when I decided to set sail to the promised lands of the fatty; I really just wanted to try it. Thankfully my father-in-law stopped by along with a few neighbors who were outside and smelled the mouthwatering assault on the senses that is the fatty.

Mad props to the cowgirl for the help and suggestion of due fattilicious process per her blog.

The bacon weaving process was a bit easier than I expected, it was the flattening of the fatty itself and the rolling that proved to be a bit more difficult. Suggestions there?

I filled the middle with red potatoes, green peppers, onions, fresh garlic and cheddar cheese.

(my wife - "you're putting ALL of that in there?"

To which I responded - "That's what she...")

Smoked on the BGE XL for 3 hrs at about 300 degrees with cherry and pecan wood.

Sliced it up, put the slices on some whole wheat bagels along with a fried egg and an extra slice of cheese.

Needless to say, it was VERY well received. My only fear going forward is that the fatty will take on a life of it's own...growing, changing, evolving and most importantly be respected and requested by so many of those than take part in it's mysterious enigma.

Thanks again, Brethren.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thai, put the sausage in a one gallon zip bag, roll it flat, then cut the two sides so that the top plastic opens up to expose the sausage. Goes very easy!

Great suggestions. The one gallon bag idea is fantastic. I think I am going to start one Wednesday morning and eat it for lunch with a few work buddies. I'll keep you posted!

I also do the 1gallon zip lock bag trick. I then hold it up to the light to check for thin spots(not even)
When you buy your bacon turn the package over and make sure you get a package with even slices to the ends. Some packages don't.
Nice fatty!!

Outstanding looking fatty! Something that i do is after i flatten it in the 1gal bag, i put it in the fridge while i cook up the innards, after that cools i take it out of the fridge and go to town. I use a fatty piston that i saw on Cowgirls blog to stuff my fatty. What also will work if you use the Fatty piston stuff it with warm fillings and cheese then put that in the fridge to cool, it helps the rolling process very well!

Very nice! I think the 1 gallon zip lock is the industry standard for fatties. Makes it much easier. Fun stuff!

Back