Southwest Smoker Outdoor Oven

kev2lz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any brethren own one of these fine smokers? I picked one up on CL last week for $120 and it is well worth every penny and then some. The seller allowed his wife to convince him to go vegan and was easily talked down from the $150 asking price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344407123.203404.jpg

Now, before you dismiss it as a Bandera, its built with 1/8" steel (save for the 1/4" air control on the firebox), all welded (not held together with bolts) and will probably outlast most of the folks here!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344407290.857357.jpg

I smoked a 10 lb brisket flat and a 6.5 lb shoulder last weekend and they were both amazing! Seeing the slabs in the cabinet help to get an idea of the actual size...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344407882.829344.jpg

Finally, the pr0n. Best brisket I've ever made

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344407916.499139.jpg

Think I'll slap on a fresh coat of paint this weekend. :)

Looks pretty rusty to me, but it is the same beast. Thanks!

Edit: the seller inherited it from his grandfather, sanded off all of the surface rust, applied a crappy coat of paint, replaced the thermometer and all grates. I'm happy with it. :)

Love that style smoker. Congats man!!!! :eusa_clap

It looks pretty cool to me, I'd love to have one of those. Nice!

That's nice. Are you sure it's only 1/8" thick? Looks more like 3/16". Either way, you got a deal. Enjoy.

Thanks, guys. I've never actually measured the metal, it could be 3/16".

Funny story... The day I brought this thing home, my neighbor offered me $300 for it. Today, after eating a whole mess of smoked boudin, corn and these bad boys (smoked, brisket and cream cheese stuffed jalapeños)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344663715.455222.jpg

He offered me $500. Wanna guess my answer? ;)

I would like to get one of the someday. I see them on CL about 3-4 times a year. You could cook a lot of ribs on one of those.

That thing is awesome, I've been looking for one for a few years now. My question is, if these things are so sought after, why doesn't someone start making them again?

My brother received one of these as a present from his wife back in the mid 90's. It was purchased from a Sam's Club. Don't know what it cost but my brother is giving it to me so I am a happy man. It will be soon be in my lower garage along with my UDS, Primo, Lang60 and BWS Chubby.

My brother received one of these as a present from his wife back in the mid 90's. It was purchased from a Sam's Club. Don't know what it cost but my brother is giving it to me so I am a happy man. It will be soon be in my lower garage along with my UDS, Primo, Lang60 and BWS Chubby.

All the ones I ever saw in Sam's were Oklahoma Joe's Vertical Roasting Ovens and IIRC they were ~$250.

Excellent Score. Good to know the diff between that rig and a Bandera. My sis and parents live in Wylie. Say hello to them and Jerry Jones.

All the ones I ever saw in Sam's were Oklahoma Joe's Vertical Roasting Ovens and IIRC they were ~$250.

I could make out OUTDDOOR OVEN from the pics my brother sent. And I found some pictures of Southwest Smoker Outdoor Ovens here and on a couple other sites, perfect match. My Brother said he thought the unit cost about $300 but again that was almost 20 years ago. Might have been a regional purchase by the Sam's club in his area.

Back