MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #661
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

This is my official entry.

Been awhile ladies and gents but I think I'm back.

Last week my father-in-law said he really liked Jack Daniels Sauce so I decided I would see if I could find some. Well I couldn't find the sauce but I did find a recipe I really liked so this is how my throwdown entry started.

some roasted garlic

put it all together

add a special label and there you have it

So the sauce turned out great but the secret weapon turned out to be

Add a corer peeler slicer

Some asparagus

And Corn (this is really just water but the corn will be added at some point in this story)

Grill, Glaze and Serve

The glaze was great. My Father In law kept going back to the serving plate and dipping has chop in what glaze was left on the plate. The real star here was the Oakridge BBQ Game Changer. These were the best chops I've ever made and I know it was the Game Changer that made the difference. They were moist, tender and full of flavor. Thank you Oakridge BBQ.

Not sure if it is the best shot but it is my favorite one so Mr. Big please use this for the vote thread.

Thanks for looking.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #662
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Oldyote, that's some serious eats there. I LOVE those curly wurly fries.. I bet they were a real hit with your daughter!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #663
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Beautiful shot and great cook Ric!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #664
campdude
Babbling Farker

Fantastic looking plate. Those chops look perfect.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #665
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #666
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Atta boy Ric, way to bring it!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #667
buccaneer

What a wholesome plate, love it!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #668
BrwnSugar
Found some matches.

Wow that is an amazing looking dish. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Weber One Touch Silver
BrwnSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #669
caseydog

Default Another farkenaut entry, your biggieness...

I thought I might make me up some good vittles for supper, and teach ole' bucc about a real Texas staple food.

I went and got me some cheap, lean steak, cut thin. It set me back a whole four dollars an thirteen cents. I also picked up some okra, which cost me pert-near another dollar. I already had some potatoes at home, and don't recall what they cost me, but it wasn't a whole lot. All the other ingredients I had in my panty, and I reckon you can add another dollar for what I used of them.

All told, I don't think I have more than ten bucks invested in this endeavor.

Now for the cookin' stuff.

I took my cheap steak, cut off any excess fat, and opened up a can of whoopass on it with a meat mallet.

Then I made my dredge and crust -- one bowl of buttermilk and egg, and one bowl of flour, baking powder, and black pepper.

I dragged my meat through the dry stuff, and then through the wet stuff, and one more time through the dry stuff.

After a little rest, into the the #10 Griswold on the redhead -- about 350 degrees on the canola oil.

After the steak was cooked, I poured off most of the oil, but lest a little to mix with flour to make a roux. I added some milk to my roux and cooked it down to a nice cream gravy, with a generous helping of black pepper for flavor.

I whipped up some garlic mashed taters, and deep fried some okra -- I always have mashed taters and fried okra with chicken fried steak. One of my favorite meals.

And here is how she looked right before I dove in, fork first.

So, how did it taste? Well, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Thanks for looking. I need a nap, now.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #670
buccaneer

So to make this gravy it is the sediment from the fry up plus flour and milk, CD?
Don't cook the flour too long so it stays light coloured and then seasoned with black pepper?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #671
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
So to make this gravy it is the sediment from the fry up plus flour and milk, CD?
Don't cook the flour too long so it stays light coloured and then seasoned with black pepper?
Yes, you pour off all but a few tablespoons of the cooking oil, with tasty bits in it. You ad flour, and make a roux -- I used 1/3 cup of flour today. You are looking for a light tan roux, so you don't cook it too long. You add milk and stir until you have a nice, creamy gravy. It took a little over two cups of milk for this batch. Then, add a little salt and a lot of black pepper, until it tastes good to you.

If you have ever had a peppercorn sauce on steak, this is somewhat similar.

CD
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #672
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yes, you pour off all but a few tablespoons of the cooking oil, with tasty bits in it. You ad flour, and make a roux -- I used 1/3 cup of flour today. You are looking for a light tan roux, so you don't cook it too long. You add milk and stir until you have a nice, creamy gravy. It took a little over two cups of milk for this batch. Then, add a little salt and a lot of black pepper, until it tastes good to you.

If you have ever had a peppercorn sauce on steak, this is somewhat similar.

CD
Gravy made with milk.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #673
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Gravy made with milk.
What, pray tell, do you use?

CD
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #674
Cuebacca
On the road to being a farker

Well trying this a third time maybe I wont accidentally delete it all. UGH!

Here is my entry for the Noobians!!! I dont know if it will be my official entry or not. Because I forgot a few pictures of stuff haha.

I started with 2 racks of loin back ribs. Rubbed down with Chris lilleys pork butt rub(which my wife and I enjoy..although this time around we did notice that it had too much salt and needs a little flavor kick so we will be messing around with some other flavors). They are being smoked at about 235-250 ish with apple wood.

Here they are in all their glory beforehand:

I had planned on getting some during the cook photos but that didnt happen. DOH!

*insert mid cook pictures*

After they had been on for about 3 hours I tried the bend test and they were almost there to the cracking of skin. So I decided this was the perfect time to glaze one rack with Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet sauce. And left the other rack plain.

Here they are after about 3.5 hours of cooking and passing the bend test.

I also forgot to get a smoke ring picture or a plated picture. We had my wifes family over for dinner and they just didnt understand the whole reasoning behind pictures and a bbq forum. So it was hard trying to get pictures before it all got snarfed down.

Overall everyone really enjoyed the ribs. Surprisingly everyone loved the dry rubbed ones more than the glazed ones(myself included). I will definitely have to do a better job and documenting my next cook, but remember I am still a Noobian!

Ps. Thank you to my brethren for all of your help and advice. Because without it I wouldnt have made such delicious ribs!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #675
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Official Entry and Full Volley from the USS Farkanught

The Noobs have been running too many raids on us as of late.

Time to return fire.

Obligatory cute Pup pic:

Pork O' Rama today. Memphis Dry. The rub ingredients with a Southern twist for St. Louis Spares:

Rubbed and ready:

Prepping the Bacon wrapped Tater Cups with purple onion and bell pepper:

A little butter on top and some Tony's:

On the grill:

By this time it was getting BUTT HOT here.

Here's a pic of the Ribs on the WSM:

Now for some Bacon wrapped Figs:

If you have not tried this, you should.

Bout time for the Ribs to come off:

Cheezing up the tater cups:

Sure wish I had a Farkanught flag! :

We are not one but many:

And just when you thought the assault was over, here come the torpedoes!

Been soaking these all day:

Plated shot. Please use the pic below for the TD.

Thanks for Lookin'.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote