Pros and Cons of Dry Aging

R

rcubed3r

I purchased a 10.5 lb. hunk of standing rib roast for Christmas Eve.
I am considering dry aging for up to a week, but I have never done that before.
What are the pros and cons?
I guess the biggest thing I need to know is if I can somehow ruin the meat by doing this.

Thanx!
Ron

If it were me, and the rib roast was in cryovac, I would just wet age in the fridge. Too many varibles and factors involved in dry aging. Dry aging needs to be done in a very climate controled environment.

+1 on the wet ageing. as will said it has to be in the original cryovak though. if not it wont work.dry ageing steaks for a week will work, but a roast will not benifit much "not as much surface area" also climate has to be perfect for dry ageing.

Another reason I wouldn't bother with a 7 day dry age is that the potential risks outweigh any benefits you may see. 7 days is about a quarter of the time you need. I recommend at least 28 days under very closely controlled conditions. It should be great if you leave it in its current packaging until a day or so before cooking.

HUGE fan of dry-aging, but agree w/Whit: 7 days is not enough to make a huge difference, and the yield might not work.

I dry age prime strip when I can get it at a good price, and have found that 21 days works best for me. Have the butcher wrap in kitchen towels (change every day) and keep in a stainless pan in the cooler. Keep in mind that between the moisture and the outside stuff you have to cut off, a 14-15lb hunk will only result in 5-7lbs of usable meat. I ran the #'s - If I can get prime strip for $15/lb, the final steaks...after aging/trimming...cost around $35/lb. What that tells me is that $35-40 for a prime, dry-aged strip in a restaurant (or even in a store) is a steal. Not something you're gonna have every day - but holy sh*t is it good.

Back