Baby Brisket score

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just found a farmer here in GA who raises grass-fed cattle. I hear he has a fine product, but I have to drive a ways to get it. Anyway, he's giving me two briskets to "try out." Sweet - can't beat that.

But here's what's interesting to me. He slaughters his cows young, and the briskets are only 5-6 pounds (flat & point included). I've only cooked 13-15 pounders. I can't even picture a 5 pound whole brisket.

I bet these are really good, but I'd probably have to cook at least two or three to have enough meat for a comp. And I bet they won't take long to cook. They are regularly $8/lb, which seems very pricey to me.

Any of you guys have experience with these baby briskets?

Can't wait to see them. Smallest I have ever got a full was between 8 and 9 lbs.

I'll post pix when I get them. I could get a big italian loaf and make one giant brisket sandwich out of the thing.

IMO grass fed is to lean for good BBQ. I finish mine on Grain for 6 weeks before I murder 'em.

Having not been fed out on grain they will have a distinct different taste than what you are accustomed to. Grass fed that I have cooked tend to cook a lot quicker.

Uncle JJ, you may be on to something with the Italian bread sammich:eusa_clap

Back