Cheery wood questions..

letdasmokeroll

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK Im trying to stock pile wood got 2 truck loads of pecan ...now looking at a truck load of Cheery but the price seems really high $100 ...has anyone used it and is that price kinda high

Cherry is an awesome smoking wood; I almost always use it, apple or peach for my smoked chicken. Can't vouch for the price, though, I've never bought that much at one time.

I used to have cheery wood when i was younger. Or is cheery wood the stems you remove from the baggie.

A lot of people like cherry. I prefer Apple or pear , as far as fruit woods go. Always heard that walnut wasn't a good wood for smoking, so I've never tried it. Being a wood worker I've sawn and sanded a fair amount of walnut and it doesn't smell appealing .

I can't imaging anyone smoking with black walnut. Even tho it is beautiful, I, as a professional woodworker, hate fooling with that stinking stuff. If we HAVE to build something out of walnut, you can bet I won't be passing thru the shop too much. I do love cherry tho.

I love cherry. Use it all the time. I asked about black walnut before and got a unanimous no.

I use cherry and like the flavor. I paid $90 for a heaping, stacked, not just thrown on, truckload.

Cherry wood is great,use it a lot ,my cost???........FREE. Just my labor to cut it up and haul it home.
Black wall nut??? do not use it for smoking. If you are a woodworker like i am, that is another story.

I use cherry and apple too wish I could find peach here in Indiana can find pecan but just in small bags but agree with everyone else no to walnut of any kind

100 bucks for a truck load is not to bad fro cherry. If you need that much wood get it. I look on CL everyday about once a month there us an add for free apple or cherry wood. Jus t have to split it and haul it home. You know what your time is worth. And black walnut is OK. But real stinky and kind of over powering. Try a little of that first before you buy a truck load.

100 for a truck load is pretty good in my neck of the woods. I'm like davefan. I check CL every day under free. I find apple once every other week or so. Cherry goes REAL FAST!! when it's posted! I scored a huge mullberry tree over the weekend and just found a 50 ft oak tree getting cut down in my neighborhood today! If you see a tree laying in someones yard and knock on the door in my experience more than not they will let you cut it just to get rid of it.

Has anyone who claims Black Walnut is bad actually tried it? I have and found the flavor to be mild and good. It's not nearly as strong as hickory.

Back