PVC risers and valves for UDS

CORNDAWG

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to build a UDS like mine, except he wants to use PVC risers instead of black pipe and PVC valves instead of brass. Does anyone have any experience with using PVC? I have seen images and it looks like they use black pipe 90 degree elbow coming out of the drum and use PVC from there upward. Any issues with heat/melting or transfer of fumes due to heat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 138
I have built 2 of the were the valve was PVC with no issues but the riser was steel. BUT I can't imagine there being an issue as long as the 90° was steel!

Last edited:
Yea there's no issue as long as the 90 is steel like muscrat said. I have steel to PVC fittings on my mini when i'm running the IQ.

I had a PVC fitting in the hole for my Maverick probes about 4 inches down from the rim of the barrel. It burned out and fell out after less than 6 months of use. The pvc nut was brittle and had cracked due to the heat. It just fell off one day when I was inserting the probes through it for a cook. I now just wrap the probes in foil and plug the hole while cooking. Works better that way.

I think the heat will be too great for direct input into the sides of the barrel, and that a steel pipe elbow would be better, and then use the PVC pipe for the standpipe. I also tried a 2 inch PVC section for my exhaust coming out of the 2 inch bung hole, and it became brittle in a short time. I replaced it with a steel nipple and all was good from then on.

Blessings,
Omar

Back