• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pellet smoker

warren.miller

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guys think the best pellet smoker for competitions is? Somethings I am considering 4 racks, price and how well it cooks.

Thanks,
Warren

I love our FEC 100. 4 racks (slots for 7), cooks like a charm, and it's shiny so it blinds my competitors. I love the way it cooks and once you understand how it cooks, like any other smoker, it does what you want it to do. The only accessory I really have for it is a marine battery and 600 watt inverter so I don't depend on others for power or create noise with a generator.

I used a barrowed FEC-100 at the NKC competition and it ran like a charm. We cooked a bunch of food friday for people and that night for competition meats. It ran I would say close to 20hrs. Hardly any ash, and maybe used 5 to 7lbs of pellets. It ran perfect imo.

If it was me it would be a FEC-100. I had a Traeger and I had many troubles with it. (maybe just a lemon) The main issue with it the pellets would quit feeding and my fire would go out. There are many teams out there with FEC's and do very well. Hopefully price isn't your biggest factor....

My FEC100s work awesome. If you want something bigger, you might look at the Green Mountain Pig trailer.

Seems like the consensous is the FEC-100. I agree with that and will add their tech support is top notch - FEC is the no brainer choice for pellet smokers if your doing comps and can afford one.

Among pelletheads, the FEC 100 is the coveted machine. I see a lot of them in competition and know why: They are stable, reliable, and consistent. An FEC 100 is the first thing I'm gonna' buy when I win the lottery.

There are a lot of good pellet units on the market, but if you need that much space, the FEC-100 is going to be the one. I had the pleasure of cooking on a unit provided by Eddy at the 2010 Royal Open and it performed flawlesslly. Been around them for a long time, cooked on a FEC-500 last April, but had never cooked on a 100 before. It produced an 11th place finish in Brisket at the Royal, I think it just goes to prove it really is the pit and not the cook!

:becky:

We run 2 x 075 Traeger's for our comp meats and a Traeger COM 200 for PC. The bbq's run great - the cooks.....eh - they seem to be "high test".

Anyway - I see a lot of pellet grills of all shapes, sizes, and brands. They put out some great meat - and IMHO - is a great way to get into competition bbq from a cost and ease perspective.

There are a lot of good pellet units on the market, but if you need that much space, the FEC-100 is going to be the one. I had the pleasure of cooking on a unit provided by Eddy at the 2010 Royal Open and it performed flawlesslly. Been around them for a long time, cooked on a FEC-500 last April, but had never cooked on a 100 before. It produced an 11th place finish in Brisket at the Royal, I think it just goes to prove it really is the pit and not the cook!

:becky:

I disagree!! A bad grill/smoker can ruin a cook. But a good grill/smoker still needs a cook to use the tools they have to pull off a good cook. 11th out of 494 requires you know your stuff.
I take photos at a lot of the comps in California. FEC-100 are seen in a lot of teams areas.Some have two.

Back