MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
pete10
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Wow, that took a long time...

So, none of you remember, but I posted a build thread waaaaayyy back HERE...

Well, life got busy, and the smoker stayed 1/4 built until about a month ago. With some assistance from a fabricator buddy, we finally finished the smoker. I had some design issues pointed out to me in the original thread, but it was too far welded to change. Primarily the top load firebox. I did switch it to a hinged door instead of the slider.

I still need to do the draw calculation and cut the exhaust. It is shown here with test burning some walnut. smoke only coming out of the stack!

Tomorrow night I am going to fire her up with a couple of fatties and a 2lb slab of belly. Then in with both feet Friday with two butts and maybe a brisket. I'll post pics. Wish me luck!!

pete10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
pete10

Giving credit where credit is due, the handle is by MartyLeach. It is by far the nicest piece of the unit!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Looks cool! Since you're using a 55 gallon drum, I'll be curious how it holds heat. Looking forward to hear about your cooks.

I always heard walnut was pretty bitter and to stay away from it for cooking. Or did you just use that for your test run?
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
pete10

The walnut was run with no meat in the cooker. Just a test burn. The 55gal drum is actually one drum cut and tacked inside the main drum making it double walled. I plan to load a few spots with firebrick. It has a duct running the length of the drum with thick tuning plates on top set up for transverse flow. that should help with thermal mass as well. We shall see!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
pete10

Default Now with PrOn...

Ok, a little shy of halfway through the first cook. Still getting the hang of the fire control on this rig. But, I've been able to keep it between 215 and 235 with only a few drops when I got distracted. Sitting at 222 right now with a butt at 140, another at 138, and a brisket at 155. Oak and hickory with only wood (shorts split down to 3-4 inches around) added since the first chimney. Been preheating the splits on the firebox. Actually had a few go to flame up there! I put them in a chimney and smoked a Fuji apple over them. It is now the proud component of a smoked fuji apple bourbon sauce.

I snapped this pic while I had the door open to throw in a basket of jalapenos.