MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Is the "chimney effect" just a myth?

Hello Brethren. I have a question about my UDS exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare. Does having a chimney actually "draw" the air/smoke out? Maybe this only happens if the chimney is a certain length.

I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I would plug thos 8 smaller holes off and put in a single 2 1/2" to 3" diameter X 12" long exhaust pipe.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I would plug thos 8 smaller holes off and put in a single 2 1/2" to 3" diameter X 12" long exhaust pipe.
My original idea was to do this, however, I have a flat bung-less lid and my step drill only goes to 1-3/8'', which would make a hole fit for an even smaller pipe (maybe 1-1/4'').

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen UDS's that work fine with several small holes in a flat lid. Some that even just had pieces of steel or magnets to cover the holes. I agree that a larger chimney would work better. But, you have what you have. Go for it and see.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I sometimes will slip a can over the exhaust on my WSM. Certainly seems to produce a better draw than without. Could be just my imagination though.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
Hello Brethren. I have a question about my UDS exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare. Does having a chimney actually "draw" the air/smoke out? Maybe this only happens if the chimney is a certain length.

I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...
It's actually called stack effect and it is real.

You can read about it on Wikipedia. I'd drop a link but for some reason the forum won't let me. I keep getting an error

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Ideally I would like to make a chimney, theres just no way for me to make a 2 inch hole without some outside help. I even thought of making 2 exhausts each 1-1/2''. I don't mind doing extra work or buying a few extra parts. I see this build as a weekend project and I would love to maximize its potential. Can't wait to try it out!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

For my recent build I grabbed a 2 1/2" hole saw from Napa. It was fairly inexpensive and made quick work of the job. Added bonus is I now have the tool for future builds!

Not a typical UDS build by any means but you can see what I did...

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I have what I think your talking about, and they work great for me most the time I only open 4 but to crank up the heat I'll open them all. I put them on cause of wind it helps with temperature control for me.Also keeps rain out and chokes out the fire fast using lump.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

The 8 hole design with no nipples works fine. Don't over think this. KISS!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
I sometimes will slip a can over the exhaust on my WSM. Certainly seems to produce a better draw than without. Could be just my imagination though.
A Bush's bean can with both ends removed fits snugly over the top vent tabs and has a noticeable affect on WSM performance in less than ideal weather conditions.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

I've only cooked twice on my week-old UDS, but I used the KISS method with 8 1/2" holes in a 15" diameter across the top of my flat lid. So far it's worked great and seems to offer plenty of exhaust, neither of my meals were ashy/sooty. In fact, despite calibrating my thermo, I've worried through both cooks that it was stuck because it held at the exact temp I wanted it to for the couple of hours I needed.

I also smoke on my patio with a large overhang so it's safe from precipitation. In furthering the KISS method, when it's time to choke the flame, I shut off my intake(s) and tear off small bits of aluminum foil to plug the holes. I do so in a manner similar to bits of toilet paper on your bleeding shaving nicks. Leaving the bits flat, I use my fingertip to settle them down somewhat into the holes and then I use my palm to flatten the foil around the holes. Simple and secure and within an hour or so my thermo reads ambient temps.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A steel pipe cap spells burned hands to me. How about a cork? Just an idea.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
A Bush's bean can with both ends removed fits snugly over the top vent tabs and has a noticeable affect on WSM performance in less than ideal weather conditions.

Good to know!