MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Finally, one more thought, to beat this horse tender.

The ONLY way you are going to finish it in the oven with halfway decent results is with foil.

Why is that exactly?

Because the foil makes it a MOIST HEAT ENVIRONMENT.

Now then, you have a Crock Pot, right? It makes a moist heat environment without the hassles of foil, leaks, and all that BS. Would you put meat in your Crock Pot and put your Crock Pot in the Oven?

NO!

Because that would be farking STUPID wouldn't it?

So, you can foil and cook in the oven, making a rather poor Crock Pot simulator, or just use your farking Crock Pot.

It's your call. Some people just like making things really farking complicated for some reason.

The #1 rule of BBQ, there are no rules. But that does not mean that common sense does not apply.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #32
SauceHitter
Found some matches.

If I am cooking a single brisket I often finish in oven if it has the color I am looking for and don't want to tend the fire any more. If I don't plan on wrapping on the smoker I don't wrap in the oven. Works great.

Usually I don't transfer to the oven because I am cooking more than I can fit in it. Also, while I love the house smelling like a smoke house for hours after I am done cooking my wife prefers her vanilla scented air fresheners.
SauceHitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #33
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have used the oven on those occasions when I foil but I have to admit I think I am going to try the crock pot. I never thought of that
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #34
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Bout a month ago i was trying to do a couple butts in the middle of a blizzard and it finally got to the point where I couldnt keep enough heat going so I moved them into the oven for the last couple hours.

Just a little advice, even if you have them foiled put a drip pan on the rack under them because after drinking beer for the duration of the cook and being a little sleep deprived you may not notice the small hole in the foil and you will spend the next day trying to clean burnt pork fat out of the bottom of your oven.

Another piece of advice, if you have a 1/2 inch of melted fat in the bottom of your oven and your a little hung over dont get lazy and use the self clean cycle, you will have to hear about the smell for another week
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #35
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Donnie hinted at it earlier; one of the many techniques used when you have more meat to cook than smoker capacity is to smoke as many as you can for a few hours, move them into an oven (foiled), and reload your smoker. Meaning, as many have said and the initial poster asked presumably, heat is heat (within some reasonable measure, as bibubyte said)..
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

just to throw some stink in the game.....I thought all those using insulated verticles with electronic controls etc instead of stickburning offsets were using ovens...... (ducks and runs)
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #37
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

As all answers on this forum goes back to...... build a UDS. Any UDS I have built will hold temperature much more steady than any oven. And you do not have to tend it.

In foil, out of foil, it does not care.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #38
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

That is why I don't wrap or foil.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #39
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Finally, one more thought, to beat this horse tender.

The ONLY way you are going to finish it in the oven with halfway decent results is with foil.

Why is that exactly?

Because the foil makes it a MOIST HEAT ENVIRONMENT.

Now then, you have a Crock Pot, right? It makes a moist heat environment without the hassles of foil, leaks, and all that BS. Would you put meat in your Crock Pot and put your Crock Pot in the Oven?

NO!

Because that would be farking STUPID wouldn't it?

So, you can foil and cook in the oven, making a rather poor Crock Pot simulator, or just use your farking Crock Pot.

It's your call. Some people just like making things really farking complicated for some reason.

The #1 rule of BBQ, there are no rules. But that does not mean that common sense does not apply.
That, or put your butt in a big dutch oven, and then throw that in the oven

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #40
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

I started out using the oven crutch all the time. I was only smoking one butt at a time, and a friend told me about smoking a butt for 4-5 hrs. on the smoker after dinner, then wrapping and put into a half pan in a 225° oven so you can sleep. Works like a champ and I still do this when it is cold outside or if I just want to replenish my stock of pulled pork in the freezer.

Using a half pan covered with foil prevents the pork fat leaking into the oven issue too.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #41
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
That, and I can't see myself sitting in a lawn chair in my kitchen, drinking beer next to the oven.

CD
Funny. I can easily see you passed out on the kitchen floor spilling vodka next to the oven...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #42
deguerre

Now. Why I love this place. The OP is only 14 hours old and already 3 pages of mostly helpful replies.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just yesterday I posted about a meat loaf that I did on a uds and for some reason I felt it was getting to much smoke after only 1/2 hr, the uds for some reason was belching out some heavy white smoke, so stuck it in the oven and it came out great. It had good color and just a hint of smoke which my wife really liked. That reminds me, its lunch time and I have a meat loaf sammy wit a side of baked beans calling my name.
Dave

Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #44
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Seems logical...guess I will have to load up on crock pots for those big cooks.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #45
aevanlloyd
Found some matches.

Default Hmmmm crockpot

So what setting do you use on the crockpot? Mine only has high, low, and warm. I like this idea because I could put the pot on the porch and not stink up the house. I think you would need a big pot for a brisket, but it would be perfect for pork shoulder.
aevanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote