MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
aevanlloyd
Found some matches.

Default Why not just use an oven

I cook at home for friends and family. I'm not a competition cook and have no desire to be one. My question is, after I wrap my meat, why shouldn't I just throw it in the oven where the temp is steady? Will using an oven negatively affect the meat?

Thanks
aevanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

No reason not to do it. Many of us do from time to time for various reasons.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
gtr

Once it's wrapped, heat is heat.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Not much fun watching the oven with a beer in your hand.

Dave

Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post

Dave
Beats the chit out of watching the oven without a beer in your hand.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

If its a cold night or if it starts to rain I'll wrap to get over the stall and put it in the oven. I've only done this with pork butts and both were over 150*. I've done 10 so far and only had to do this with 2 of them. I live in an apartment and I have no car port so I smoke next to my parking spot. Both times I knew the meat wouldn't take any more smoke, so to avoid getting drenched I just finished them inside.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Beats the chit out of watching the oven without a beer in your hand.
^^^^^ Rotflmao ^^^^^
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I am actually please at the progression of our forum members.... back when we had 300 members with 30 strong ones...those that were here all the time... of someone came in and asked this they would sort of get flogged.

I am glad we have gotten to the point where reality is stronger than ego. The poster above that says, after they are wrapped (assuming you have gotten enough smoke and color) heat is heat.. well that is right on!!

For competitors this is of course not the way to go because the competition rules says so... and frankly they always should because that is what the competition is done to find out...who can run their pits the best. Plus there are still 26 things that can go wrong to the meat after it got its ring on...

I had some guy visit me and watch me smoke for my church... we did butts and it rained. After 8 hours smoking 67 butts at a temp of 180---200... well it was dark.... I looked at him and said this. "Buddy the end product and its screw up free presentation is all that matters and we are not competing... so... into the warmer they go with parts going in our church ovens for 3 hours to get tender in shifts.... I ain't running this pit all night.

The next morning we were all set and rested. No one knew we did the last part in the ovens.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:

Dave
Big +1
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
landarc

Quote:

Dave
You're doing it wrong, you convince the wife/girlfriend/single neighbor woman that you are done stinking up the backyard and get busy for a few hours.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

GTR said it in a nutshell.. heat is heat.... once i wrap, only reason I would keep it in the pit is if I WANT to sit out there with it and feed the fire.. or its still going strong...

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
IamMadMan

A lot of us have and still do so from time to time as indicted in the above posts.

The main reason not to is:
The cooker is already up to a controlled temperature with many hours of fuel to burn off. It's just as easy to wrap and return to let it finish.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Used to do it with my offset all the time after I got wise. You get really sick of sleeping on the picnic bench. I haven't yet with the WSM but time will tell

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Why not just use an oven

I've done it more than once over the winter when chit was freezing cold and windy. No shame in my game. Although I did setup the maverick on one of the cooks just to see how close the oven's digital readout was. Come to find out I was getting bigger temp swings in the oven than the wsm. Go figure...

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

The UDS with my Pitmasteriq is pretty much steady as an oven and I try to cook outside in warmer months to keep the house cool but if it's below 50* on a long cook after I feel the meats taken all the smoke it can sure I'll put it in the oven to finish.