MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #13036
GrassRun
Full Fledged Farker

I opted to follow the KISS principle with three 3/4” intakes and eight 1/2” exhaust. My plan was to evenly space eight quarters around the lid of the drum, mark them with a Sharpie, then drill the holes.

As I stood there contemplating how best to measure, my better half walked up with a beer in hand for me, took the quarters, arranged them on the lid and then she said “There you go. How’s that?” Nothing left for me to do but enjoy the beer.
GrassRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #13037
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

What about building a charcoal basket. I'm finding that looks to be a particularly expensive part of this endeavor what with having to buy expanded metal, a charcoal grate, and enough bolts and nuts to actually put it together. That Big Poppa basket pre-built for $57 really doesn't look like that bad a deal by comparison.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #13038
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Kettle View Post
What about building a charcoal basket. I'm finding that looks to be a particularly expensive part of this endeavor what with having to buy expanded metal, a charcoal grate, and enough bolts and nuts to actually put it together. That Big Poppa basket pre-built for $57 really doesn't look like that bad a deal by comparison.
metal bucket with a few holes around the side, and a few on the bottom put up on a couple of bricks would work fine and be about $10

something like this

https://i.imgur.com/eoYii82.jpg

Last edited by el luchador; 01-25-2018 at 08:57 AM..
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #13039
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Lol me and blue kettle are kinda on the same wavelength. I'm taking the advice of others and going with the hunshaker style intake on the bottom so wind isn't as much a factor. I will be building a conventional charcoal basket (2 sheets expanded metal, 17inch charcoal grate, nuts/bolts, and ash catcher). My question is with the intake at the center of the bottom how high should my ash catcher be to allow good airflow and do I need to worry about a lot of grease coming out?
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #13040
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
Lol me and blue kettle are kinda on the same wavelength. I'm taking the advice of others and going with the hunshaker style intake on the bottom so wind isn't as much a factor. I will be building a conventional charcoal basket (2 sheets expanded metal, 17inch charcoal grate, nuts/bolts, and ash catcher). My question is with the intake at the center of the bottom how high should my ash catcher be to allow good airflow and do I need to worry about a lot of grease coming out?
If you're going with a vent in the bottom center, i wouldn't worry about an ash catcher under your basket, put a pan under the drum and then just sweep the ash and drippings through the hole on the the pan and toss..I dont' think you will get good air flow to the basket with a pan under covering the intake unless you raise your basket much higher than most have them..
just my .02 so probably worth just that much.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #13041
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

I was thinking of that also when it was suggested to me but hunsaker has a ash catcher under their vortex charcoal basket. Even if I raise it for the ash catcher I should still have room for 2 grates and a 3rd for the deflector.

Edit: if it's too high I'm fine with cutting a few inchs off the 12inch expanded metal

Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #13042
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I was thinking of that also when it was suggested to me but hunsaker has a ash catcher under their vortex charcoal basket. Even if I raise it for the ash catcher I should still have room for 2 grates and a 3rd for the deflector.
I was unaware they did that with their baskets. So if that's the case, then i it should work just fine. They should know, they invented it haha. From the pics it looks like it's only about 1 inch about the ground an inch below the basket.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #13043
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Their ash catcher tray (pizza pan) sits 1" above the legs of the vortex basket. That is plenty of space for air to come in from the intake. I have my charcoal basket sitting inside a deep dish pan that has a 1" coupler for its feet. Catches all the ash with no spread, homies.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #13044
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Pictures of the deep dish see the up?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #13045
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Pictures of the deep dish see the up?

I used 2” square tubes that are 1” tall for the pan to sit on. The pan is 22” in diameter and 3” tall.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #13046
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

may I ask where you got the 22" pan?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #13047
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
may I ask where you got the 22" pan?
From 4" to 24"!

https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?...categoryid=103

Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #13048
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Still considering this UDS build but I'm starting to resent having to drive from OKC to Tulsa just to acquire the drum. What's frustrating is there's got to be some of those here locally it's just finding them. What am I missing? Would a restaurant supply place have these perhaps? Craigslist is a dry well.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #13049
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Kettle View Post
Still considering this UDS build but I'm starting to resent having to drive from OKC to Tulsa just to acquire the drum. What's frustrating is there's got to be some of those here locally it's just finding them. What am I missing? Would a restaurant supply place have these perhaps? Craigslist is a dry well.
https://www.grainger.com/branch/Okla...ity-Branch-568

Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #13050
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

And then there's this guy....

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...430591786.html

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker