MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: What should KCBS spend cash on?
KCBS TOY 1 1.92%
big contests 0 0%
small contests 16 30.77%
promoting BBQ at all 35 67.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default **ADMIN NOTE ** PLEASE VOTE! What should KCBS spend on?

Well the KCBS is getting a lot more money from SAMS Club. They have already allocated $30k to TOY prize money. It sounds like MMA is going to be pulling in more sponsors based on the discussion in the April meeting.

I haven't seen the contract with SAMS but I'd sure like to know the details. It shouldn't be private. Is the KCBS spending money on promoting specific contests for a SAMS TOY series? I'm hearing that there's lots of money going to be spent and some will actually find it's way into the KCBS bank account. So what should the KCBS spend all this windfall cash on?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I would hope the people we have voted for use sound judgement and do what is right.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess I would like to know where they spend the money now... A little open financial reporting would be nice.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They need to reinvest as well. While those huge money contests are awesome.. In reality, how does that effect the entore membership? Or does it cater to a select few? Don't get me wrong, I travel and I also cook in a few contests a year. But spread the wealth... Don't just reward the TOY teams... I am not in anyway diminishing their accomplishments, for what they are capable of doing is amazing.

I also want any monies that are committed to the end of the year TOY race be published PRIOR to the start of the season. This year it was Lakeland. Some teams that actually have to work for a living, might of had enough time to figure out how they could 'try' to get a piece of that.

Lastly, I believe that their philantropy should be expanded 10 fold if we are taking in that kind of monies. Don't get me wrong, my foundation has been rewarded with Grants from the KCBS. But we could also spend it on hurricane relief, flooding in Nashville, earthquakes, etc. We could help feed the children of our nation. There are numerous causes that we could support.

Those are some ideas off the top of my head.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Why not do that.... Scottie has a good idea... insted of that dumb azz rv running around. why not do disaster relive for the volanters... fema and other organation go to help so why not help the helpers? that would do 2 things get the kcbs name out and get them POSITIVE press... I know if thay came here to my state and said here is the cooker meat and such... please help cook for the voliters i would be there in a heart beet. but thats just me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Well a purple guitar shaped like their unpronounceable symbol for starters would be cool.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Not knowing what the entire Sam's Club sponsorship adds up to, I don't think we're really able to suggest an allocation of how all the monies should be spent.

That said, I would like to see a good chunk used to promote BBQ to all - assuming the sponsorship provides enough for it to be effective. In theory, this would increase awareness, draw in more people and thus attract more sponsors.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post

That said, I would like to see a good chuck should be used to promote BBQ to all - .
That is funny on about 17 different levels! Representing BBQ with Chuck. LOL

I know you meant chunk... but LOL

Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

lack of editing skills - I'll go back and fix my three time revised sentence to make sense
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

To be honest once I voted and saw the poll results i was pleasantly surprised.
It is all about the BBQ to me, and I am glad i am not in the minority.

It appears the current KCBS board is on the opposite side of the spectrum - with the TOY purse going way up....

Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I would hope the people we have voted for use sound judgement and do what is right.
You should probably listen to the April Podcast. It's nearly 4 painful hours but without a signed contract in April a motion was passed to spend $30k on TOY. That after it was discovered that all of the windfall from the Tour last year had been allocated including building up the rainy day fund to what it was before they spent like crazy on the Tour. Until then it was being funded by the Tour proceeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I guess I would like to know where they spend the money now... A little open financial reporting would be nice.
I've never seen a financial statement for the last 2 or 3 years. Why are they not posted on the website. Maybe you want to ask the BOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
They need to reinvest as well. While those huge money contests are awesome.. In reality, how does that effect the entire membership? Or does it cater to a select few? Don't get me wrong, I travel and I also cook in a few contests a year. But spread the wealth... Don't just reward the TOY teams... I am not in anyway diminishing their accomplishments, for what they are capable of doing is amazing.

I also want any monies that are committed to the end of the year TOY race be published PRIOR to the start of the season. This year it was Lakeland. Some teams that actually have to work for a living, might of had enough time to figure out how they could 'try' to get a piece of that.

Lastly, I believe that their philantropy should be expanded 10 fold if we are taking in that kind of monies. Don't get me wrong, my foundation has been rewarded with Grants from the KCBS. But we could also spend it on hurricane relief, flooding in Nashville, earthquakes, etc. We could help feed the children of our nation. There are numerous causes that we could support.

Those are some ideas off the top of my head.
And here's from the quick notes for the May meeting. Pay attention to who voted yes or no.

Quote Quick notes: Merl Whitebook made a motion that KCBS allocate funds, beginning the current year an amount equal or greater to the amount funded by KCBS for Team of the Year in any calendar year, to a fund restricted for charitable, philanthropic, education and scholarship purposes. The motion was seconded by Gene Goycochea.

After discussion, Paul Kirk called for the Vote. The motion was seconded by Merl Whitebook.

Vote:
8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions

Mike Budai no
Paul Kirk no
Gene Goycochea yes
Carol Whitebook no
Candy Weaver no
Don Harwell yes
Tana Shupe no
Merl Whitebook yes

Vote:
3 yes, 5 no, 0 abstentions
The motion to create a restricted charitable fund fails

Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I do find it funny that folks that voted against it, are still allowed to reap profits off of KCBS... I don't need to go into detail, as it is all public knowledge. I am sure there is some good reason behind it... I just can't think of it now...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

I can't really vote without knowing the details of the agreement and if Sams has stipulated usage of funds as a term of the sponsorship, which would be entirely within their rights.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Whether the BOD divulges the info or not, as a not for profit the tax returns are a matter of public record and can be viewed at http://www2.guidestar.org/Home.aspx

The latest tax return posted is for 2008, so either they are late with the 2009 tax return or it has not yet made it to guidestar. The 2007 and 2006 returns are also available.

You do need to sign up in order to view the tax returns, but it is free and painless.

You'll also be able to check on any other charity that may be of interest to you prior to making donations, etc.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
Jorge

While I voted for the promotion of BBQ I don't see that as excluding the funding of a TOY award or awards. Listening to the last meeting it sounded like there would be some substantial funds available.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote