Throwdown Thread: Basque Style Chicken & Chorizo Stew aka Chicken Basquaise

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
This is my 2nd Cooks Thread for the "Soups, Stews & Chili!" Throwdown. And Hey!.... It lasts all month. :biggrin1:

Basquaise encompass a wide variety of the Basque style of cooking, sometimes in 'one pot' dishes like my stew. It's comfort food at it's finest. I started with a Basque Norte marinated and roasted chicken that was chilled overnight. In other words, this is left-over chicken! :thumb:

I stripped the carcass for the chicken broth and it was ready in a couple of hours of simmering. Canned broth will work, but there is a distinct flavor to this stew when cooking the carcass down.

duF4S9f.jpg

6n8aqzp.jpg

Meanwhile, here are my raw ingredients for the body of the stew (these are somewhat flexible too)... but coriander, cumin and smoked paprika are signature spices. The onion, garlic, peppers and chorizo went on the BGE. Then found their way into a pot, along with the seasonings and later the tomatoes were added, next add some broth, and lastly a drumstick and some chopped thighs are added. This needs maybe 20 minutes of simmering and is ready for the serving bowl. A little white meat is okay, but dark meat works better with the chorizo.

o6sUSWp.jpg

pwTvHpb.jpg

oPTHRIc.jpg

Yds7z4j.jpg

You can 'supersize' this recipe, but because it works with what's on hand you can make a small batch too. We do use Piment d'Ville at the table (the California version of the imported Espelette Basque spice), read about it HERE. Check out their other chilies and read about Nacho, the Pepper King. These guys are a real farm-to-table company. All that said, here is the serving dish.

5lrOgn2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good - I would be interested in hearing more about the chicken, I love the Basque region.

Looks good - I would be interested in hearing more about the chicken, I love the Basque region.

So do I. Earlier this year I bought some marinades from Bella Sun Luci in Korean, Basque Norte, and Carne Asada flavors. They are strong, and I'm still in the experimental stages with them. I like them on chicken, and not as much on beef. They have a hefty amount of salt, but it does not take much to do the job. The Korean is the least salty, and the Basque Norte is the highest in salt.

QS8CKJh.jpg

The Basque Norte piqued my interest...gonna keep an eye out for it.

Your soup looks devine.

Back