Weber Bullet

P

Pastro

I've been using a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for a few years. I consistently turn out some good que. BUT I have problems building up a layer of bark . Is it even possible to get good bark with a water smoker or do I need to step up to something with indirect heat? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have the same problem on my kettle, but I think its more the cook and not the cooker. I'd try adding more brown sugar/white sugar to the rub.

You can check on youtube there are plenty of videos of people using the bullet and achieving bark.

Maybe if you explain your process more the experts can chime in and help.

Have you tried smoking without the water. Replace the water with sand and cover with foil. That will give you a heat sink and then you can still maintain temp in the WSM. I would only change one thing at a time when you are trying a new process. Do everything the same but replace the water.

I have no problem getting nice bark in my WSM and most of the time I use the water pan. Can you give some more details on your cooks?

Yep, water should aid, not prevent bark. There is something else in your process.

Always get great bark with the WSM, with or without water.

My rubs do have brown sugar in them. Not sure if that's why.

Maybe if you explain your process more the experts can chime in and help.

I prepare my pork butts the night before with a generous rub and then refrigerate. The rub is usually equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar along with garlic and onion powder, cayenne, white and black pepper, paprika and cumin. The next morning I go directly from frig to smoker, sometimes adding a little more rub on the way. I set the cooker at 225 and let it go until I get an internal temp of 180 to 190.

I attended a Chris Marks class on briskets and butts last Saturday in Cleveland and learned that I should be using yellow mustard as a base. Maybe I need to add more sugar?

Do you coat your meat in mustard before applying rub ? I use it on everything: brisket, pork butts and ribs.

I just learned about using mustard at a Chris Marks class and plan on using it as a base from now on.

Have you tried smoking without the water. /QUOTE]

Not yet, but now that you brought it to my attention, I'll have to give it a go. Does the sand radiate the heat well? Would it make the bullet run a little hotter than H2O?

I prepare my pork butts the night before with a generous rub and then refrigerate. The rub is usually equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar along with garlic and onion powder, cayenne, white and black pepper, paprika and cumin. The next morning I go directly from frig to smoker, sometimes adding a little more rub on the way. I set the cooker at 225 and let it go until I get an internal temp of 180 to 190.

I attended a Chris Marks class on briskets and butts last Saturday in Cleveland and learned that I should be using yellow mustard as a base. Maybe I need to add more sugar?

Mustard is mainly to help the rub stick, some people say it adds to the flavour profile but that is up for debate. I use the cheap stuff since I dont believe it adds to the flavour profile.

I would bring your butt up to room temp before putting it on the smoker.

Finally, try change one or two things a time so you can gauge whether or not they were successful, changing too many things too quickly you can lose sight of that.

...Finally, try change one or two things a time so you can gauge whether or not they were successful, changing too many things too quickly you can lose sight of that.

Thanks Toronto, that's good advice! I also plan to keep a log book on my cooks starting this weekend. :grin:

I tried many ways but still keep coming back to water. Probably not enough sugar, or too low of a temp. If its 225 on the lid it's way too low. 275 on the lid at least
4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper

Back