Need help with wood chunk / lump charcoal ratios !!

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Guys,

Need some help or feedback.... My 'que at home has been coming out to my liking but I still don't think I've mastered the ratio of lump charcoal to wood chunks. I'd like to nail this down as I'm planning to being competing next year and want to have a more consistent approach to managing the fire to avoid confusion with my team members.

As I know everyone has their own preferences (some only use wood,some only use charcoal ) and everybody's equipment varies...I'll ask the question this way if you use both fuels....

1)For every time you start the fire with a one full chimney starter full of hot charcoals, how many wood chunks would you add on top ?

2) If that first batch does not get the fire up to desired temp (considering possible size of firebox, temp outside) , do you then prepare another mix of charcoal and wood chunks in the same exact ratio as the start up or do you change the mix, possibly only adding one of them ?

2) For every time the temp drops below your desired range, do you then add more lump charcoal and wood in the same ratio as you did when you started the fire or do you just add wood and or heated charcoal by feel on an as needed basis ?

If anybody can help with my three questions above or provide some feedback as to their thought process as to how they determine ratios to fuel the fire etc. would be greatly appreciated....

I've never quite mastered this...Reason, I ask is that today while 'queing for family, I was short on time tending the fire as I was cooking a lot of side dishes inside the house. So, while the temp remained in my desired range of low 200's, I found myself adding a lot of chunks and not so much charcoal as I did not have time to prep the chimney starter every hour. Total que time was approx. 7-8 hrs around 230-2505 deg most of the time. My best estimates tell me that I used apprx. 30-32 lbs out of the 40 lbs of wood I started with and maybe only a few lbs out of a 20 lb bag of lump charcoal. (Maybe used the charcoal in chimney starter about 4 times in the 8 hr period). It just seemed like a hell of a lot of wood to go through for 8 hrs...

I start by placing charcoal and wood on my firegrate. I alternate a row of charcoal then a row of wood. I use a single layer in the summer and maybe 2 or 3 high in the cooler and winter months. Then I add a chimney of charcoal and let it go.

I never have any trouble getting up to temp using this method, but if I did I'd add more lit charcoal.

When my temp drops below where I want it I just add wood that has been on top of the firebox. The wood on top of the firebox will preheat so it catches on fire much quicker than if it was cold. I will add lit charcoal only if I lose my coal bed otherwise it's wood only.

Like you say many different ways and you will hear many of them try some or take a few and make them work for you.

I cook on a WSM and I use Kingsford Briquettes for heat and wood for flavor - 2 chunks of fruit wood and one chunk of hickory wood - if I need more charcoal (unusual), I just add more Kingsford.

What are you cooking on?

Thanks..

I currently have a Pitts & Spitts smoker (24 x36) with offset firebox. It was a reasonably comfortable afternoon- 70 deg., not a ton of wind. It just seemed like I was using a ton of wood/charcoal, especially wood on this particular day.

You made a good point in saying charcoal for heat and chunks for flavor. I guess I'm always nervous that if I use too much lump charcoal and not enough chunks, it will not taste as good.

Going forward I'm going to make a better effort to ensure that the charcoal is the bigger base with the chunks to complement.

I'm sure my skills at controlling the air flow dampner on the firebox need some more work too. Maybe when temp drops below my ideal point, I need to open the dampner more and give extra air a chance at increasing the temp before I go to the extra coal or wood.

Any additional thoughts from others would help...

When the temp. drops I open the damper and add more wood. Once I'm back where I need to be I adjust to just hold the temp. where I want it. Also be sure that the flue is wide open.

I love questions like this. Alot of info is in our bandera 101 document u can download form the home page, and more info is in the "fire control" thread in the roadmap.

First off.. your got a decent offset. what is the chunks stuff???

Go down to Prianti Farms on Deer park avenue in Deerpark/Commack. Talk to Chiro, tell him I sent you down and you are with the BBQ brethren(he knows us a the BBQ guys). He will send u to the back where u can pick up a load of oak, cherry and hickory for a nominal price.

thats will be your first answer. Use logs and splits instead of chunks.

A full chimney of kingsford and a single or 2 oak logs to start or a couple good splits will get u to temp and hold u there for the first 2 hours. I say oak logs(or hickory) becase they have the BTU's to get u up to temp wuickly. Adding 2-3-4 small beer can size splits every 45 mins to an hour will keep you going. Mix your flavor wood in with that phase.

You need a good coal bed to get the lofs and splits to light. If the coal bed is getting low, THEN a few chunks along withthe logs will help. If Coal bed is very low, then a chimney of lump to re-establish that coalbed will get u going again, then keep adding small logs and splits.

i save the bags of chunks for when i need to recover heat quickly and I have a good coalbed to get them to ignite quick and clean. The chunks ignite faster than lump and will help recovery when u been busy drinkin and let the coalbed get to low. If the bed is too low, then lump and a blower will be needed unles u want to start it in the chimney.

Nice info Phil. This is what I do with the Bandera, only I have to add wood every 30 minutes because of the thin metal.

Thanks Phil.. Appreciate the detailed response.. good info. Funny thing is, I breezed thru the Bandera 101 document when I signed up as I wanted to start looking at some of the old posts.. I'll be sure to go back and re-read.

I have a ton of wood chunks and lump left, but when I'm done, I'll definitely check out the place on Deer Park Ave.

Back