• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you lose smoke flavor when deep frying ribs?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone able to discern whether they can taste the smoke or original rub after they deep fry ribs?

Well, I cold smoked a turkey and deep fried it in my turkey fryer. I could still detect the smoke flavor on the turkey but the oil absorbed most of the smoke smell. I wasn't to happy about tossing 3 gallons of rice bran oil in the garbage.

Well, I poach my smoked sausage in water after smoking, and you can still easily tell it's smoked sausage. I doubt the frying will blunt the smoke flavor much, if at all. Good point from EBE; your oil will be smoked afterwards. Not entirely surprising as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats will be very happy to saturate their bonds with anything flying around. If one was to use a saturated fat, such as safflower oil, this would be less of a problem.

Maybe that's not a bad thing for frying other stuff though?

Boil first, and finish wrapped in foil with oak pellets and butter& sugar @ 225* for 2 hours until a internal temp of 196* Dont forget to soak your pellets in wine for 12 min first. This will keep that smoky goodness!

I did some last week for the 1st time, and the smoke flavor was still prominent. Admittedly, they were a bit too smoky to start with, but the process did not diminish the flavor by much.

Back