MBN question

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I never thought I'd have to ask a question about competing in an MBN constest. This is my first year competing and was going to do strictly KCBS, but someone approached me about about cooking in the Praise the Lard dual sanctioned event. The catch was that they wanted me to cook in MBN and KCBS that weekend, they are paying for the entry fees and meat, so it was hard for me to say no. The question I have is that as of right now we are signed up for both shoulder and ribs on the MBN side, what are they looking for in each one, on-site and blind box. I'm pretty sure I'll cook at least two racks for the box, 1 for each of three judges and start another 2 just in case and about the same for shoulder if I decide to go ahead with it. One issue I have is right now I'm only cooking on 2 WSM's and an UDS, I may end up with an Ole' Hickory Legend to cook with as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should expect and I have a month to figure this all out.

Muphysboro, IL Sept. 22-24, Like I said, I just wanted to do KCBS, but they insisted on doing both. I normally compete alone, and have someone show up to build my boxed and turn them in. That's gonna be another change because there will be about 5 people there 'helping'.

I never thought I'd have to ask a question about competing in an MBN constest. This is my first year competing and was going to do strictly KCBS, but someone approached me about about cooking in the Praise the Lard dual sanctioned event. The catch was that they wanted me to cook in MBN and KCBS that weekend, they are paying for the entry fees and meat, so it was hard for me to say no. The question I have is that as of right now we are signed up for both shoulder and ribs on the MBN side, what are they looking for in each one, on-site and blind box. I'm pretty sure I'll cook at least two racks for the box, 1 for each of three judges and start another 2 just in case and about the same for shoulder if I decide to go ahead with it. One issue I have is right now I'm only cooking on 2 WSM's and an UDS, I may end up with an Ole' Hickory Legend to cook with as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should expect and I have a month to figure this all out.

Its a dog and pony show. Use your absolute best for the Blind Box. You can B.S. the judge to a degree on the onsite visit. check out you tube for presentation videos... Red hot smokers has one up so do a few others...

Back