My turn for a craigslist score

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
On Monday I was driving home from an appointment and noticed a free Weber gas grill set out on the curb, it was one of the old models that had the sharp angled lid, but it looked like it was in pretty good shape @ 35 MPH. I got home, dropped off the kiddos and groceries then went back to check it out. Well wouldn't you know it, someone was just loading it up when I got back. Dang, missed my chance on a good curb score like I often see here.

Fast forward to today, my Craigslist search alert for Weber Genesis emails me as I'd casually been looking to get a good gasser without breaking the bank. This one was a Genesis I, so a generation old, but hadn't been used at all. I ended up taking it home with me for $250. While still not as sweet a deal as "free", I feel like finding a new Weber Genesis 3 burner grill for a couple hundred and change was still a good score. Even came with 2 sets of grates, one set steel bar and one set cast iron. Good thing I still have my rotisserie and cover from the Spirit 3 burner I briefly owned and impulse sold, I don't even have to go out and rebuy that stuff. :doh:

Probably do a quick lunch of some chicken wings tomorrow to break her in.

Man I am watching CL like a hawk for a certain deal. Dam Karma bus running 24/7 here.

Congratulations on finding what you wanted.

I am the passenger. Iggy Pop

Another Beer please. Thank You

Nice find. Good price and worth it.

CL is a fickle mistress. Sometimes you find something right away....sometimes you look for a particular smoker for 3 years or more. That said, I've experienced both and have two cookers from CL that I am very happy with.

Big Time Score! Congratulations. Call Weber CS with Model & Serial to see if it has been or if they will register it. A big help for replacement parts.

Well it turns out this 3 burner Genesis is a few inches wider than the 3 burner Spirit I had and the rotisserie spit rod is a bit short. I have a feeling I'd probably still prefer to use the kettle charcoal rotisserie when the need to spin something arises so I'm not sure that I'll bother with getting the right spit rod. The bracket for the motor still worked though. I also got my Labor Day trade round care package today from Pig_Farmer....man, loaded full of goodies from Albuquerque and NM that I can't wait to try. So far this has turned out to be a pretty great week for barbecue in this house. :becky:

Last edited:
Winner!

fwiw... you can buy a spit rod from onegrill.com and make it work: hand file the square edges at the correct distance. Doesn't take long at all. You can also get rod bushings there, if necessary.

Speaking of old Weber gassers. I have a old SS lid Genesis Gold with the side burner and dual side flip up counters. Unfortunitely the heat plate inside the SS lid are not SS and are rusting bad, but the lid itself is in perfect condition. I can't seem to source the heat shield.

Anyone know where to get one?

I think they're technically "saved searches" for which you get emails. Any time an ad matching your search query comes up, voila.

Speaking of old Weber gassers. I have a old SS lid Genesis Gold with the side burner and dual side flip up counters. Unfortunitely the heat plate inside the SS lid are not SS and are rusting bad, but the lid itself is in perfect condition. I can't seem to source the heat shield.

Anyone know where to get one?

My advice is to find your particular model by calling Weber customer service with you serial number. Or post a picture and the folks here might be able to pinpoint the model. Once you have the model, go to ebay and search for RCplanebuyer. he makes stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates. They are made from heavier guage than anyone else. I have bought replacement parts to rehab both of my son's old Weber Genesis grills and believe those parts will last a very long time. Definitely get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Robert

My advice is to find your particular model by calling Weber customer service with you serial number. Or post a picture and the folks here might be able to pinpoint the model. Once you have the model, go to ebay and search for RCplanebuyer. he makes stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates. They are made from heavier guage than anyone else. I have bought replacement parts to rehab both of my son's old Weber Genesis grills and believe those parts will last a very long time. Definitely get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Robert

I haven't spoke to Weber yet but i did look up my model in a replacement parts pdf and it seems the heat shield, even though its screwed in underneath the lid, is only listed as a complete assembly. Meaning you have to buy a whole new lid. I checked they ebay sellers listings and he doesn't appear to sell the heat shields.

Well it turns out this 3 burner Genesis is a few inches wider than the 3 burner Spirit I had and the rotisserie spit rod is a bit short. I have a feeling I'd probably still prefer to use the kettle charcoal rotisserie when the need to spin something arises so I'm not sure that I'll bother with getting the right spit rod. The bracket for the motor still worked though. I also got my Labor Day trade round care package today from Pig_Farmer....man, loaded full of goodies from Albuquerque and NM that I can't wait to try. So far this has turned out to be a pretty great week for barbecue in this house. :becky:

Several of my favorites in that photo. Awesome!!!

Got a chance for a quick cook over lunch yesterday....nothing too fancy, just some wings and Conecuh spicy sausage. My MSU spin on a rub recipe had a little more sugar in it than I anticipated so the wings darkened up a bit, but they had good flavor. The grill started right up after I changed the igniter battery and got to 600* pretty quick, can't complain. Another tool in the toolbox.

Attachments

• wings1.jpg
    wings1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 54
  • wings2.jpg
    wings2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 54
Back