• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Apple and Sausage Stuffed Loin

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For the apple throwdown, I decided to stuff a pork loin with some apples and sausage. I browned a pack of JD hot, and then cut up some apples to cook down for the stuffing.

DSC02135.jpg

Next the apples were cooked with some butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. It was kind of tough to not eat them all by themselves.

DSC02141.jpg

After cutting and trimming the loin I realized I had too much pork or not enough stuffing, depending on how you look at it, so I cut off a piece for an appetizer. I then put a layer of sausage and a layer of the apples.

DSC02142.jpg

I rolled it, tied it and rubbed it down with some paprika, garlic powder, salt pepper, and cayenne. Cutting the loin like this, and stuffing and rolling it were all new to me, but it stayed together well, and I think I'll probable be trying this again soon. I then seared it on the gasser before throwing it in the smoker.

DSC02148.jpg

On to the smoker along with the trimmed piece. All this McRib talk lately has me thinking that piece of trim could have been used for a different throwdown.

DSC02151.jpg

I kept the smoker between 250 and 300 for about 4 hours to get to 175 internal. To keep with the apple theme, I glazed the whole thing in a mixture of apple butter, apple juice, and cayenne pepper. Carolina Treet on the scrap piece. Also smoked a couple of sweet potatoes.

DSC02153.jpg

A shot of the sliced version. It actually had a nice smoke ring on it, but it doesn't really show up in the picture.

DSC02156.jpg

Lastly a shot of the whole thing plated with some green beans and feta, and the sweet potatoes with some butter that I added the juice of an orange, cinnamon and brown sugar to.

DSC02160.jpg

The whole thing was fun to make, and really good. Thanks for looking.

I really like this idea! 175* seems a little high. Was it dry at all?

If it was just my wife and I, I probably would have pulled it off around 165, but we had some neighbors over, and I always get scared that I'm going to make somebody sick, so I left it a little longer. It actually stayed really juicy though, probably from the moisture in the apples on the inside.

If it was just my wife and I, I probably would have pulled it off around 165, but we had some neighbors over, and I always get scared that I'm going to make somebody sick, so I left it a little longer. It actually stayed really juicy though, probably from the moisture in the apples on the inside.

Looks fantastic, Wrench. gonna try that one. I would of pulled at 145 and let rest. You won't make anyone sick pulling pork at lower temps, not with today's pigs.

That's true, and it's such a great buy right now. Sam's club had some getting close to date last week and pick some up for $1.77/lb.

I will file this away for future use. I can here my wife now" let me guess, the recipe came from BBQ Brethern ":laugh:

pork loin is about the most tasty, forgiving, versatile piece of meat out there.

you can make a good loin roll with just about any kind of filling. i do a garden roll with peppers, tomatoes and onions. a mexi roll with hot salsa. a fruit roll similar to what the OP did. and the hawaiian with pineapple. you are really only limited by your imagination.

and as noted, you will have a hard time making somebody sick, the biggest thing is to get the meat consistancy palatable. there is a definate line where undercooked pork is nasty in the mouth. i think i usually pull and foil around 150 or so. depends on how many wobbly pops i have consumed.:-D

Back