Portable / Small Pellet Grill Thread

I bought a GMG DC Friday. First impressions........Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees. Luckily you can change that through the app. Everytime the auger spins it sounds like a cordless drill. From what I have read, others have the same issue. Not a big deal but just letting anyone who cares know that this lil guy isn't quiet. I have had four cooks on it so far. Small pork shoulder, some burgers, sausage stuffed peppers and mac n cheese, and some beef ribs. Everything taste wise turned out fine. Thing gets hot fast and cools down pretty quickly after you are done cooking. Overall I am liking this guy. Portability it has. I can wrangle it around pretty easily.

I bought a GMG DC Friday. First impressions........Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees. Luckily you can change that through the app. Everytime the auger spins it sounds like a cordless drill. From what I have read, others have the same issue. Not a big deal but just letting anyone who cares know that this lil guy isn't quiet. I have had four cooks on it so far. Small pork shoulder, some burgers, sausage stuffed peppers and mac n cheese, and some beef ribs. Everything taste wise turned out fine. Thing gets hot fast and cools down pretty quickly after you are done cooking. Overall I am liking this guy. Portability it has. I can wrangle it around pretty easily.

I used to own the gmg pig big rig. It cooked well but it was very loud as well. It may be just a gmg thing but you can’t beat them for the money with the included WiFi.

.Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees.

What was your reference and where did you measure the temps? I've found that when putting another thermocouple by the stock location the temps are within a couple of degrees. If you measure in the middle of the grates, you'll definitely get a difference, just like on any other grill. Not defending them, just saying that's not terribly unusual.

What was your reference and where did you measure the temps? I've found that when putting another thermocouple by the stock location the temps are within a couple of degrees. If you measure in the middle of the grates, you'll definitely get a difference, just like on any other grill. Not defending them, just saying that's not terribly unusual.

I ran two probes each at about the 1/3 mark. I agree with you that where the stock location is was probably accurate. I just don't cook 1/2" from the left wall. LOL. I only brought it up so others would be aware and know it is adjustable.

Does your DC have the 2-piece or 1 piece drip pan? If you've got the 2-piece, your temps and overall performance of the unit will be inconsistent as the 2-piece doesn't work well in this little unit. The 1 piece pan that GMG sells for $10 greatly improves performance and even temps. BTW, my DC is loud and lets out a mini-scream when it feeds. However, my Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie (I used to have) were quiet.

Does your DC have the 2-piece or 1 piece drip pan? If you've got the 2-piece, your temps and overall performance of the unit will be inconsistent as the 2-piece doesn't work well in this little unit. The 1 piece pan that GMG sells for $10 greatly improves performance and even temps. BTW, my DC is loud and lets out a mini-scream when it feeds. However, my Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie (I used to have) were quiet.

Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.

Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.

Good that you got the 1-piece! I believe the two piece, even in the closed position, let too much hot air up through the holes which often caused uneven cooking, burned bottoms, and crispy edges. The 5-10 degree variation you have is very good. If you want to experiment, note the exact position of your heat shield now and next time move it slightly to the left or right (probably start with right) as movement left or right can affect the even temps. I have my heat shield all the way to the right and try to make sure the drip pan is evenly positioned from front to back (if I remember). On my last cook, I forgot to double check the position of my drip pan and it was pushed a little to the rear and the front of the cooker ran a little hotter than the rear. Not too big of a deal, but I was able to see the difference.

All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread. :-D

All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread. :-D
You're welcome. Tell the wife it really isn't your fault...peer pressure on this site is for real!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Couldn't find this anywhere. Saw it at Atwoods today.
b6296ca6a0c967dc01d46e0cae55bdff.jpg
708c49558f70f48867176188101fd67c.jpg
0cfd2025330e806cf4dd7b8c6a1cf007.jpg
4329ff738d757d831addb0181a1eb820.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about their pellet cookers, but I bought a Smoke Hollow offset from Sams about 10 years ago. It was the biggest POS, I have ever had. They used to be based out of Missouri, but I think it is all built overseas now. I would do some serious research, before buying.

I ran two probes each at about the 1/3 mark. I agree with you that where the stock location is was probably accurate. I just don't cook 1/2" from the left wall. LOL. I only brought it up so others would be aware and know it is adjustable.

It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.

It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.

I put the probes there to see what the left / right difference was. I think it was like 8 degrees. At that point I don't worry too much. The difference between the high on my probes and what the cooker probe was reading was the 50 degree difference. That's why I calibrated the cooker probe just so I had an idea of where the temp was really at.

How well does the Davey Crocket do with Pizza and searing?

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks

The pellet tube/ tray smokers are commonly used in pellet smokers for hot and cold smoking. Pellet cookers are great for pizza as long as they can get to at least 400 deg. For searing you have 2 options. Get a Unit that can do direct grilling or get some grill grates or a cast iron pan for conductive searing.

Thanks

Pizza on the dc is fine...size is limiting factor

For proper searing you will need grill grates.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back