UDS For Smoking Sausage

C

Cajunator

Alright, I'm not that knowledgeable on the UDS subject but, is it possible to make one strictly for low temp smoking for sausage?
How would I do this to get a rich smoke flavor without a high temperature that would overcook the sausage? You know, what would I use for heat source? An electric hot plate ?

Do a search for cold smoke generators. During the summer it will be tough as temps will be high already. one of the simplest methods is to use a metal can filled with smoking pellets. Then put in a soldering iron. This will allow the pellets to smolder and give off smoke without excess heat.

Do a search for cold smoke generators. During the summer it will be tough as temps will be high already. one of the simplest methods is to use a metal can filled with smoking pellets. Then put in a soldering iron. This will allow the pellets to smolder and give off smoke without excess heat.

Farkin genius!

Thanks, but that's not the answer I was loking for. I have a smoke generator for cold smoking and it doesn't do what I want to accomplish and pellets don't produce the rich heavy smoke I want. I think it needs to be a more conventional smoker type that doesn't get above or can where I can keep it about 180* maximum. I was hoping someone had an idea that's not too involved with welding and such.

If you've ever had REAL Louisiana smoked tasso or andouille then you'll know what I want to produce.

Any ideas other than building a bigger than I need smokehouse?

Thanks a bunch!

When I want to smoke fish in my 6' trailer pit, I make a small pile of charcoal like 8 pieces and just put the alder wood on top of it. I have the alder wood cut into small pieces 3/4" X3/4" 4" long. So it is just a little smoldering fire. I have not tried this in my UDS yet but I think it might work. However I have a door on my UDS so I would be able to add a couple of pieces of charcoal and replenish the wood as needed. I also have a bottom rack above the charcoal basket for a water, drip pan, so my UDS is more like a WSM in that regard. So I think it could be done if your UDS was constructed with this purpose in mind. I also think you might be on to a good idea of using an electric hot plate then your UDS would be like a big size little chief. There again a bottom door would be very handy.

Thanks, but that's not the answer I was loking for. I have a smoke generator for cold smoking and it doesn't do what I want to accomplish and pellets don't produce the rich heavy smoke I want. I think it needs to be a more conventional smoker type that doesn't get above or can where I can keep it about 180* maximum. I was hoping someone had an idea that's not too involved with welding and such.

If you've ever had REAL Louisiana smoked tasso or andouille then you'll know what I want to produce.

Any ideas other than building a bigger than I need smokehouse?

Thanks a bunch!

Not sure what answer you are looking for then. You asked about using the UDS as a cold smoker and I provided the answer. If you want to cook hot and to me 180* is hot then just use the UDS as normal with fewer coals lit and keep the temps down. Unfortunately, I fear you are incorrectly associating heat with smoke production. I have smoked cheese with three lit coals and a chunk of wood in the bottom of a UDS and it produces plenty of smoke. If you are not getting enough smoke flavor maybe switch up the wood you are using too.

Back