Lose bark on pork when foiled

I cooked a butt last week and panned and lightly covered the pan when it looked like this --

PP_Ribs03.jpg

When it was finished and pulled it had plenty of crispy bark bits --

PP_Ribs06.jpg

And I had plenty of pan drippings to defat and make sauce with the next day --

PP_Ribs08.jpg

Here's the thread.

No foil & no fat cap. Plenty of bark.

Do you stick with no fat cap when using your UDS? When I'm putting them on the UDS I usually go with the fat cap down to somewhat protect the meat.

Do you stick with no fat cap when using your UDS? When I'm putting them on the UDS I usually go with the fat cap down to somewhat protect the meat.

Yes, no fat cap in the UDS. This protects the meat.

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

Not meaning to hijack but cameraman, I read your post. What was the gasket mod you did?

Has anyone tried wrapping butt in foil when color looks good and making holes in foil to allow steam out?

I cook all my butts hnf...foil when the color is right and the bark is set. Never had an issue with mushy bark...:cool:

You have it in piece-parts above. The answer to your original question is in two parts, both in your control:

1. How do you define and like bark? Crusty/hard carmelized, or softer more like meat texture?

I see where you prefer the crusty/hard carmelized bark. See, I dont. To me it's too much smoke on the outside and I prefer softer bark. It's ok, we just prefer
them differently. Doesn't mean I dont like bark; we just define what the perfect bark is rather differently.

2. How much smoke (and the quality of smoke) you have coming through to the meat on your smoker.

A good bit of billowy white smoke and you can have a very bitter blackened crust bark. Managing sweet blue and you end up with only as much smoke as you desire and a crusty bark.

Sounds like you probably want to focus on your smoke and stay away from the foil, and IF you use foil use it probably at the end to help the butt re-hydrate.

Last edited:
Back