• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First ever cook on an offset, a new-to-me SF 42x24 patio model

toddrhodes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made a little bit of everything and aside from undercooking the beef ribs a bit (they're finishing in the oven right now), the spare ribs? Best pork ribs I've ever made. I didn't even use sauce and I ALWAYS use sauce. The pulled pork was also probably the best I've ever done (and I wasn't unhappy whatsoever with previous efforts!). Super moist, tons of flavor - I honestly can't believe I made this food. This Shirley cooker is incredible, and I had quite a few lessons learned today but most of them come back to being brand new to offset cookers in general. But my word, this is the truth. Ok, time for pics:

myihdWeh.png

mylW3ULh.png

Qofq39Ih.png

vqQndTch.png

LDS1VWEh.png

And lastly, the final plate:
vGMn03Fh.png

Thanks everyone! I can't say enough good things about the pit. I hit a point with BBQ in general where I wasn't unhappy, but I wanted a cooker that could last a really long time and that could push me to learn new methods. I'm comfortable with my flavors, cook times and overall technique but after reading about Shirley's, I had to try and get one. So glad it worked out. Going to do a 13 lb brisket next weekend. I really appreciate the kind words everyone.

Fantastic cook Todd! Everything looks great you really nailed it for the first cook enjoy the Shirley and congratulations on finally getting it home.

Drop by anytime you need wood, there's plenty extra this year.

Hard to beat food cooked with a wood fire, IMO :thumb: congrats

I couldn't stay away! 2 leg quarters and 2 bone-in CS Ribs are on now. I'm hooked!

Making me hungry for some BBQ!

I'm cutting the last of the pork butts in the walk in for country style ribs, looks like Wednesday the weather is going to perfect for running the pit.

Back