Snake Method Take 2--Beef Ribs

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
I've tried the ring of fire method in the past but used RO. It burned way too fast way too hot and I could never leave the lid on for hours and hours like many of you. So I'm trying again with Kingsford briquettes.

I know we use the term Dino bones...but these SERIOUSLY are the biggest rack of beef ribs I've ever cooked.

Oh and I'm doing a chicken. I have a busy week ahead so I'm making lunches and dinners for the week...and soup to freeze!

So it's been 2.5 hours and I need to see how fast I'm burning. The shadow makes it hard to see but I've got the initial pile of lit coals still giving off their energy and the ring is about a quarter through. So I'm figuring seven hours if it keeps going at this rate conservatively.
It really is holding temp beautifully. Whenever I see the lid temp starting to drop I rotate the lid to follow the fire. The vents are opposite the lit coals. Really easy and super stable.
Before anyone says it no I am not going by the vent thermometer. I'm just using it to "see inside" the grill to know the approximate location of the hottest spot on the ring.
I'm showing 280-5 meat level so I'm happy.
Pretty color without paprika. Just cherry wood and a little pecan.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Soon I just realized I didn't eat breakfast and I'm really hungry.
I'm throwing a little porterhouse to snack on till dinner.

If you seen me cook steak in the past then you know I love my beef-love!

Trying a different salt for dry brining...I'm testing for heat level from the brine without adding additional chili to the rub.

It's a skinny steak so I'll take it to 105. Then sear it off.

I made a garlic white bean soup today and threw the chicken bones in that same pot. I'm thinking the left over onion and garlic will make a nice base for the chicken.
Cover with water....oh and threw the port house snack bones in the stock tooooo!
I'm crazy!!!

Soon I just realized I didn't eat breakfast and I'm really hungry.
I'm throwing a little porterhouse to snack on till dinner.

If you seen me cook steak in the past then you know I love my beef-love!

Trying a different salt for dry brining...I'm testing for heat level from the brine without adding additional chili to the rub.

It's a skinny steak so I'll take it to 105. Then sear it off.

That's awesome. People think I'm crazy when I tell them about something I cooked all day, then tell them I had to light another grill to make lunch. They don't realize you gotta eat while you're cooking and the fires just aren't the same.

Back