WSM Snake Method

WSMCBJ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Has anybody experimented much with using the snake method to cook on a WSM? I'd like to give it a try sometime.

For anyone not familiar with the snake method, it's illustrated in this video....about 40 seconds in. It suggests a semicircle of charcoal 4 bricks high and 4 bricks wide, and lighting one side of the charcoal.

[ame]http://youtu.be/nQ5gYKnDBgQ[/ame]

I'm wondering if more levels of charcoal might be needed if you want to cook larger meats, like a brisket. Just wanted to know if anyone has any insight they can share.

Thanks!

Please don't take this as negative. I kinda think everyone here is familiar with the snake method. Just not sure it is needed for a WSM. I have a 22.5" WSM. I can cook as low as 225* with a small bunch of charcoal lit and using a water pan, or I can remove the waterpan and crank it all the way up to 300*+. All depends on what I am cooking.

My normal cook is to fill my coal basket, light the center coals using my flame thrower, all vents open until I get close to my cooking temp, then close two lower vents. Wait for TBS, adjust the vents as needed to get my temp and then throw the meat on.

You obviously have a WSM. It's a great smoker. What are you trying to smoke?

I used to light my wsm using the snake/fuse method. It took time to "organize" the coals. Then one day, I switched to the minion method (faster less headache), just lighting the center. To be honest, it made no difference in temp control and burn times. I was actually able to get longer burn times using minion, because I was able to fill more charcoal up to 20lb and still maintain 225 for close to 14hours without reloading. When I used the snake method I had to reload charcoal in half the time.

The wsm is very good at holding any temp you like with or without water using any lighting method you like to use. It's a great smoker!

Folks use the snake in a kettle since they need to create an indirect are to cook in. The WSM is designed for indirect cooking so there is no need for the snake. The traditional Minion method as described by THoey works very well in the WSM.

Will the snake work in a WSM? Sure it will. But it really isn't necessary.

I find that I can control temperature just fine with the minion method. I use the snake method in the kettle because I have a One Touch and it is hard to control the air, so I limit the fuel.

Thanks for the info! I do have a WSM and I typically use the Minion method, just wasn't sure if I would gain anything by using the snake method. Wanted to try and see, but it sounds like some of you have already tried and found the Minion method to be better for the WSM. Thanks for saving me some time!

I have used the snake method once on a Weber Kettle. I typically do offset cooking on the kettle. Usually, with two small piles of charcoal on each side. I find I like the kettle because I usually get good results in less time than if I use the WSM.

That said, I love the WSM, and prefer cooking on it, but I don't always have the time to do so. I want to try brisket on the WSM for the first time in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for the info about the snake method vs the Minion method on the WSM!

Back