Smokey Joe 16 first cook!

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Smokey Joe + 16 gallon drum body = Smokey Joe 16

Several days ago I picked up a new, open top, unlined 16 gallon drum to use with my old Smokey Joe. I decided to use this smoker body as a dedicated meat hanger since it was tall enough to hang ribs in with a few inches to spare at the bottom.
The only mods to the Smokey Joe were to fabricate stronger legs to eliminate wobble and to support the additional weight of the drum. I also added a tin can shield at the bottom of the kettle to keep ash clear of the vents.

Anyhow, for its first cook I loaded the cooker with 2 racks of spares and a rack of baby backs and smoked them for close to 4 hours straight, no foil, no saucing, and they came out great. I was very pleased with the results, with even doneness top to bottom.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

P1060996_zps8c88c0e9.jpg

P1070002_zps6759caaa.jpg

P1070009_zps260093ba.jpg

Last edited:
So you found the ever elusive 16 gallon drum that fits a SJ, huh? The ribs look great.

whats the width of that barrel?

It's outer diameters are 14.5" wide at the top and just under 14" wide at the bottom end. The drum is roughly 27" inches tall. It's a perfect fit for the Smokey Joe, top and bottom.

So where did you get the barrel ?
What was the price ?

Its good that it was unlined. What did it have in it ?

So where did you get the barrel ?
What was the price ?

Its good that it was unlined. What did it have in it ?

I got it locally at a place called Ditty Containers. They sell brand new unlined drums in 16 and 30 gallon sizes, choice of open or closed top. I paid $43 for my 16 gallon open top drum.

Here's a pic of the new, open top drum I got:

P1060970_zps13820e63.jpg

It's outer diameters are 14.5" wide at the top and just under 14" wide at the bottom end. The drum is roughly 27" inches tall. It's a perfect fit for the Smokey Joe, top and bottom.
And perfect size for hanging ribs! Looks good. You could run a second rod at 90° and easily fit a couple more racks of ribs.

I've got a 15 (or 16) gallon drum, also. I had been planning on turning it into a mini UDS. Carbon, you might just have me convinced to go the same route as yourself, and either take the bottom off of the drum, or fill it w/ holes.

Did you simply load the SJ bottom with coals, or did you fab a small charcoal basket (ala the tamale pot mini wsm)? Excellent job on the leg mod, too. What size flat stock is that? And is it aluminum?

You've made yourself quite a nice cooker... looking GREAT! :clap:

Back