MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Easy Corned-Beef Tutorial, Part 2

Almost two weeks ago, I did Part 1 in an easy step-by-step "how to make corned beef and pastrami". That thread is here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=2243587 . This is the corned beef continuation, the pastrami is now doing a soak-out for a Saturday smoke. NOTE: There are no nitrates in my corned beef (explained in the 1st thread), it will not have the "classic" pink color of corned beef, but that does not affect the taste. Anyhow, basically I just removed the corned rump roast from the bag, dropped it in water (covered over the top an inch or so), and heated to a boil, then reduced to a simmer and covered for 4 hours, or until tender. Then I removed it from the pot and foiled it to rest while I cooked the veggies.

I boiled red potatoes from the farm, baby carrots, a couple of onions, and two heads of cabbage in the beef stock until tender (about 20 minutes).

I also took a thick center slice of cabbage and went another way with it. It was browned in hot bacon grease in the CIDO, then I deglazed the iron with a ladle of the veggie/beef stock and some Guinness. Threw the lid on and steamed until tender.

All served with rye bread, dijon, and horseradish (and BEER!)

The beef was very lean as compared to brisket, but the brining did its job and made the rump roast very tender nonetheless. It had the requisite stringy/crumbly texture, and classic corned beef flavor. I was very pleased with the results, especially being such a lean and typically difficult cut of beef.

Almost forgot, my wife's apple crisp for dessert!

And the other piece doing a 24 hour soak-out for Saturday's pastrami!

Thanks for lookin' at my cookin'!!

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
funman1
On the road to being a farker

Sweet loved the 1st thread and have been waiting for the follow up :)
THANKS

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Should corned beef be stringy? I don't know how the famous places like Katz in New York serves their corned beef in sandwiches, so I'm wondering if there are proponents to both sides of how the texture should be when sliced.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks fan-farking-tastic

Did you cut against the grain? Doesn't that help with the "stringyness"?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
captndan

I reread part #1. It seams that without the nitrites and nitrates the meat is just sitting in the fridge with some spices. Nothing wrong with that but what retards spoilage? Please take this a little further.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
Should corned beef be stringy? I don't know how the famous places like Katz in New York serves their corned beef in sandwiches, so I'm wondering if there are proponents to both sides of how the texture should be when sliced.
Crumbly/stringy is good. As in how the grain of the meat starts to come apart , almost fall apart like a good brisket. I sliced it perpendicular to the grain as you would a brisket, or most cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I reread part #1. It seams that without the nitrites and nitrates the meat is just sitting in the fridge with some spices. Nothing wrong with that but what retards spoilage? Please take this a little further.
There's enough salt and sugar in the brine to prevent spoilage indefinitely. Many people opt to cure meats without nitrates or nitrites. It is quite acceptably safe . The brine tenderizes the meat rather well also.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Great tutorial MC... ! The end result looks and sounds fabulous...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for posting!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
buccaneer

Such a nostalgic dish, real comfort food right there!
"clap:

Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

This is awesome. I can't wait till the pastrami!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Phubar

Yep...looks like great comPhort Phood to me!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Time to make some corned beef again.

Looks very tasty.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote