I found a mini stick pan

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This is a cornbread stick pan I stumbled across today.The larger one is a regular pan.Just thought it was interesting.Cleaned it up and have it seasoning in the oven now.

mItzwl3h.jpg

I have the standard sized one, and I see the mini ones on eBay from time to time. I can't believe the mini ones are to conserve corn meal, but I wonder if they are sized for children? Like part of a 'kids meal' from 1850?

I have the standard sized one, and I see the mini ones on eBay from time to time. I can't believe the mini ones are to conserve corn meal, but I wonder if they are sized for children? Like part of a 'kids meal' from 1850?

Ha! Good perspective.I believe they are made as a novelty or they are perfect for just 2 people.Sticks are about index finger size.Who knows? Just thought it was interesting.I do love collecting strange CI cookware.

Ha! Good perspective.I believe they are made as a novelty or they are perfect for just 2 people.Sticks are about index finger size.Who knows? Just thought it was interesting.I do love collecting strange CI cookware.

Yeah, I could see that, and they would cook much faster too. Do you have a Griswold egg skillet in your collection? They are sized just right for fried egg sandwiches, the white is the perfect thickness. Someone really put some thought into these molds.

IHspYuS.jpg

vhLDacA.jpg

As a kid I remember watching my grandmother melt lead on the stovetop and then pour it into cornbread irons like this to make lead bars, for later making her own fishing sinkers. I need to track those down in the old house and drill holes through them so they can't be used again. I know shenanigans like this are rare, but I'm now super weary of any cast iron I find in a thrift shop.

Apologies for the buzz-kill. ;)

I have the larger one in my collection.
No foundry/maker marks.
I used it once... Once.

Yeah, I could see that, and they would cook much faster too. Do you have a Griswold egg skillet in your collection? They are sized just right for fried egg sandwiches, the white is the perfect thickness. Someone really put some thought into these molds.

IHspYuS.jpg

vhLDacA.jpg

I have been searching but have not come across an egg skillet yet.I have seen yours in previous posts and it piqued my interest.

I have been searching but have not come across an egg skillet yet.I have seen yours in previous posts and it piqued my interest.

eBay prices have goon through the roof for the unique CI pieces, garage sales and 2nd hand stores are probably a better bet. I found and restored a Wagner breakfast griddle and gifted it to the farmer I get my eggs from, it's big and heavy but his family uses it a lot.

2sDddLx.jpg

eBay prices have goon through the roof for the unique CI pieces, garage sales and 2nd hand stores are probably a better bet. I found and restored a Wagner breakfast griddle and gifted it to the farmer I get my eggs from, it's big and heavy but his family uses it a lot.

2sDddLx.jpg

WOW! That is a nice one!

I just put one in my eBay cart, got ready to pay and realized I don’t need a very cool square pan to fry eggs for sandwiches badly enough to pay what they were asking. I will keep an eye out for yard/estate/garage sales though - finding something like this for a song & restoring it will make it more valuable to me anyway.

Lodge and Bayou Classic, I believe....

Lodge cornbread sticks are real common around here (near the factory). I prefer the skillet (and Three Rivers brand meal).

I just put one in my eBay cart, got ready to pay and realized I don’t need a very cool square pan to fry eggs for sandwiches badly enough to pay what they were asking. I will keep an eye out for yard/estate/garage sales though - finding something like this for a song & restoring it will make it more valuable to me anyway.

I agree with you, many of my vintage CI was passed down from my Grandma, one griddle had to be from my Gr.Grandma because it had a bail instead of a handle, and pit marks from a wood burning stove. Garage sales are the best because the asking price might be $2.

On the other hand, some eBay items are in really great shape and they have already lasted one lifetime.... when you buy it, it now has another lifetime of service. I also use my egg skillet for slow roasting heads of garlic and melting small amounts of butter, toasting spices and little jobs like that. And you can scramble one egg in them too, like you get on a breakfast sandwich.

I agree with you, many of my vintage CI was passed down from my Grandma, one griddle had to be from my Gr.Grandma because it had a bail instead of a handle, and pit marks from a wood burning stove. Garage sales are the best because the asking price might be $2.

On the other hand, some eBay items are in really great shape and they have already lasted one lifetime.... when you buy it, it now has another lifetime of service. I also use my egg skillet for slow roasting heads of garlic and melting small amounts of butter, toasting spices and little jobs like that. And you can scramble one egg in them too, like you get on a breakfast sandwich.

Two of my four CI skillets I found after someone left them on the recycle bin next to the dumpster at an apartment complex I lived in 15 years ago (of the other two, one I inherited from my mom 23 years ago and bought the other). A little work to remove some minor surface rust and clean them up, and I have pans I use almost every day that will outlive me - I intend to pass them on to my stepchildren (or their children) someday, my stepson always cooks on them when he visits.

I might buy one of the worse-condition little square jobbies off eBay and restore it if I can find one cheap enough that still has the markings on the bottom without too much material that needs removing. Will always be looking for gems at garage sales.

Edit note: I couldn’t leave well enough alone and did some more googling. I just ordered one of the Griswold egg pans online from a pawn shop. If the shop and the pics are legit, then I did a whole lot better than eBay.

Last edited:
Back