120 Gallon Tank/Workhorse Pits Questions

grizzly0925

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all I live in Southern NJ and found a builder in my home state up north of me that does tank builds. He does everything custom and I reached out to a few of his customers and they all say great things. I am a little torn between a Work Horse Pits 1975 and his 120 Gallon Model traditional flow.

Does anyone know the normal estimate on surface dimensions on 120 gallon tanks? How does everyone feel about 3/16 steel in the cook chamber for the north east in colder temps? The fire box can be 1/4, 3/8, or insulated. I was thinking going 3/8s to save a little cash rather than going insulated.

the builders IG and Facebook are greenmoneyfab if yall wanted to look at his work.

I would love to support a local business especially during these economic times but I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck the work horse 1975 has 3/8 steel construction all around and can do the cowboy fire box as an option which is great for reverse sears.

The thicker the metal the better, I would want minimum 1/4" for the cook chamber if it was for me. I had a smoker with a non insulated firebox but my current pit is insulated. I prefer the insulated for sure, I think you could get away without and be alright but it makes running the pit easier.

As far as builder, I like where your head is trying to support the local guy. My only advise of caution is maybe see if you can see one of the builders smokers in action. Make sure it performs how you want before you put down a deposit. I'd want to be sure the builder understands airflow and isn't just a good welder.

The thicker the metal the better, I would want minimum 1/4" for the cook chamber if it was for me. I had a smoker with a non insulated firebox but my current pit is insulated. I prefer the insulated for sure, I think you could get away without and be alright but it makes running the pit easier.

As far as builder, I like where your head is trying to support the local guy. My only advise of caution is maybe see if you can see one of the builders smokers in action. Make sure it performs how you want before you put down a deposit. I'd want to be sure the builder understands airflow and isn't just a good welder.

Thanks for the input. he did invite me to his shop but it is quite the trip for me, a couple hours, but it would definitely be worth seeing what he is working on and have a talk with him about air flow bbq etc. It seems that he is dedicated to his side hustle and has turn out decent pits but I see what you mean about making sure he knows what he's doing vs. just slapping some steel together especially at the price.

I might take him up on the offer. He has posted some vids and what not of temps from probes in different positions it seems like it is even across the grate within <10 degrees variance.

I will have to see if he can get any tanks that are 1/4inch thickness if not I think you are right and I may lean towards workhorse being they are 3/8 thickness for the 1975 model.

I have a 1975 on order and chose them because of their build quality and construction (all 3/8 steel) performance (from seeing others use it), availability (didn’t want to wait years, and price. For the money, I don’t think you can find a better built and higher performing traditional flow pit. I am pretty sure a 120gallon is more like 60” long, isn’t it? So considerably larger than the 1975?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 1975 on order and chose them because of their build quality and construction (all 3/8 steel) performance (from seeing others use it), availability (didn’t want to wait years, and price. For the money, I don’t think you can find a better built and higher performing traditional flow pit. I am pretty sure a 120gallon is more like 60” long, isn’t it? So considerably larger than the 1975?

The 120 is larger i believe for sure. Eventually I'd like to get back in to a side business just part time so I figured buy larger this time around at first. But after some thought I should probably just get a small rig for the home and just get a bigger unit later. Im taking like 5 years down the road of course.

The option down from the 120 with the builder is an 80 gallon which may be too small for when I have family over.

gtsum how long did they quote you on delivery? Im looking to place an order soon. Did you find any videos you could share of people using one besides the ones from Workhorse and Quetorials?

gtsum how long did they quote you on delivery? Im looking to place an order soon. Did you find any videos you could share of people using one besides the ones from Workhorse and Quetorials?

I ordered on 11/06 and my production date is scheduled for first week of March...believe it takes 10-14 days from that point. I haven’t been able to find any videos other than those mentioned. Not that it will help yuh any, but I’ll make some videos etc when I get it. Also, the shelf option is coming in the next couple of weeks they told me, and it’s able to be added to an order after you pay for it...as long as it’s done before start of production obviously. so if I like the look of that, I’ll add it to my order...

Just looked at the greenmoneyfab cookers and the ones I see are reverse flow and workhorse/primitive are direct flow. Just an FYI. No right or wrong answer on what method is better, but if you are comparing I thought it should be pointed out.

A insulated firebox is the way to go in the long run it will make a big difference in the amount of wood you will burn and the efficiency of your pitt.

I’ve got a 1975t and can attest to their build quality and cook quality. I’m selling mine because I need something larger since I started doing some catering last year. You can check my IG @just4que for many pics of my cooks. You can’t go wrong with Workhorse.

Looking at GreenMoneyFab I have to say it all "looks right." What I mean by this is basic things like the firebox looks appropriately sized, the exhaust stacks are large diameter (which is good), and overall things like to be in solid proportions to each other. The welds looks very good and his videos clearly show thin, blue smoke which is exactly what you want. I'd wager to say this gentlemen is more than just a welder and it looks like he knows what he's doing.

Depending on your budget I'm one of those people who always recommends going bigger with an offset if you're looking at using it for catering / commercial cooking. I bought a 24x60 RF offset for my BBQ food truck business and it's a great smoker. Problem is that within the first 2-3 months of me opening I had already outgrown that smoker. I had to sell it and buy a larger smoker which is always a pain in the butt in terms of extra $$, as well as the build wait time.

I don't think you could go wrong with Green Money as from everything I can see things appear to be solid. 2-3 hour drive is fantastic and it's definitely worth the trip if it saves you from making a mistake, or it ends up just sealing the deal for you. I'm in eastern NC and flew into Dallas, TX so I could see my pit before I made the final payment. It also cost me about $700 to get it shipped, so local is always better. I also commend you on trying to help out a local business as right now most of us are in a tight spot.

Good luck however you choose to move forward.

Yeah the lead time is whats holding me back hes got 4 builds ahead of me, I would be the 5th and its a part time gig would probably be looking at the beginning of Fall. There are a few builders that are saying 8-14 weeks depending on the builder. I've expanded my search but to small business fabricators only really.

Looking at GreenMoneyFab I have to say it all "looks right." What I mean by this is basic things like the firebox looks appropriately sized, the exhaust stacks are large diameter (which is good), and overall things like to be in solid proportions to each other. The welds looks very good and his videos clearly show thin, blue smoke which is exactly what you want. I'd wager to say this gentlemen is more than just a welder and it looks like he knows what he's doing.

Depending on your budget I'm one of those people who always recommends going bigger with an offset if you're looking at using it for catering / commercial cooking. I bought a 24x60 RF offset for my BBQ food truck business and it's a great smoker. Problem is that within the first 2-3 months of me opening I had already outgrown that smoker. I had to sell it and buy a larger smoker which is always a pain in the butt in terms of extra $$, as well as the build wait time.

I don't think you could go wrong with Green Money as from everything I can see things appear to be solid. 2-3 hour drive is fantastic and it's definitely worth the trip if it saves you from making a mistake, or it ends up just sealing the deal for you. I'm in eastern NC and flew into Dallas, TX so I could see my pit before I made the final payment. It also cost me about $700 to get it shipped, so local is always better. I also commend you on trying to help out a local business as right now most of us are in a tight spot.

Good luck however you choose to move forward.

8-9 month wait is BRUTAL! My Johnson smoker was a 2 or 3 month wait time and I was having a tough time. I was on the Ironsides Smokers list before and during the 6 month lead time (not sure what it is today) a smoker came available for sale locally and I couldn't say no. I'm kicking myself in the butt because I wish I had waited and gotten the Ironsides cooker...I'm getting back on their build list later in the year.

I know Lang or Meadow Creek will be able to get you a solid smoker much quicker, but they are larger operations.

It's a tough call but better to wait and make the proper decision than to rush and end up regretting it. I've seen a couple people on here put down 50% deposits on offset smokers and end up losing the deposit as they've decided to go with a different builder.

Good luck with however you choose to proceed.

If anyone was wondering I am rolling the dice on Greenmoneyfab. He is transitioning to 1/4" straight pipe on my build.

The guy seems to be really working on his craft and is putting out some quality products. I don't think that it will be a bad pit, and if it was I don't think he would give it to me. It's nice to support someone local. Other builders I looked at were Pristine Metal Works out of Kentucky, TMG Pits out of TN, workhorse obviously. Pretty Hyped about the build as it will be different.

All the other companies push out great product as well but it does come down to just mastering your cooker, the free shipping and the guy being flexible with me definitely sold me. I was really going for TMG but after finding out I could get double the pit at the same price due to 600 saved on delivery its worth it in the end.

Makes sense to me. Good luck and post up when you get it!

If anyone was wondering I am rolling the dice on Greenmoneyfab. He is transitioning to 1/4" straight pipe on my build.

The guy seems to be really working on his craft and is putting out some quality products. I don't think that it will be a bad pit, and if it was I don't think he would give it to me. It's nice to support someone local. Other builders I looked at were Pristine Metal Works out of Kentucky, TMG Pits out of TN, workhorse obviously. Pretty Hyped about the build as it will be different.

All the other companies push out great product as well but it does come down to just mastering your cooker, the free shipping and the guy being flexible with me definitely sold me. I was really going for TMG but after finding out I could get double the pit at the same price due to 600 saved on delivery its worth it in the end.

Congratulations on making a decision and I'm sure you'll be happy with the final product. I know it will be a bit down the road but I'm very much looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

Cheers buddy!

*Note : I re-read this and it kind of comes off as a bit condescending. I 100% do not mean for it to be taken that way. A lot of us spend months consumed with "analysis paralysis" and never end up making a decision. So I was just congratulating you on the ability to move forward and finally get what you've been wanting.

Back