• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Salt Block Take on Smoke?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Wondering if I run the smoker low and slow and roll some smoke for a while if it would permeate a Himalayan salt block.

Thinking adding a little smoke note on the surface and then searing some thin strips of beef might be pretty tasty.

Cowgirl Jeanie smokes salt so I believe it would be worth a try.

7w65ocr.jpg

I was gifted a salt block for cooking on, but it needed some time to get up to temp, then you needed to rinse it after cooling and to be honest I used it 4 or 5 times and didn't really care for it..... I wound up asking around then passed it on to someone that wanted to play with it.

Never noticed it taking on smoke flavor.
Whatcha could try is dissolving Himalayan salt in water, smoking that solution, then evaporating the water

7w65ocr.jpg

I was gifted a salt block for cooking on, but it needed some time to get up to temp, then you needed to rinse it after cooling and to be honest I used it 4 or 5 times and didn't really care for it..... I wound up asking around then passed it on to someone that wanted to play with it.

This was my experience as well. I didn’t really even notice any salt flavor from it either. More “show” than “go” IMO.

Sorry, It really will not work. When the individual crystals are bonded into a solid block, only the exposed surface area is available for smoke adhesion. Further, when food is being cooked on a hot salt block, it is actually losing moisture and isn’t able to absorb much, if any, available salt until it begins to cool.

ONE FAD that I am glad I did not pull the trigger on.

Back