Texas pepper jelly

W

Wildcat

I've been reading about these and wonder just how hot they are. I want to try them out but my family doesn't like their Q too hot.

I thought about mixing a little of it with my BBQ sauce as a final graze to keep the heat down.

I'm looking more for favor than pain from the heat.

Also what about the Texas BBQ Rub, what's it like?

Thanks.

The pepper jelly is great! It is spicy but none of my crew complains. when its used a glaze during the last 15 min on ribs it is mild. Give it a try. Start with the Jap jelly and then try the Hab. I have 8 jars in the fridge now. I love it on biscuits in the morning with hot coffee. My favorite is the Mandarin Orange Hab. MMMMmmmmm.

Wildcat said:
I've been reading about these and wonder just how hot they are. I want to try them out but my family doesn't like their Q too hot.

I thought about mixing a little of it with my BBQ sauce as a final graze to keep the heat down.

Thanks.

Pepper jellies are mostly sugar anyway, so you'll definitely get flavor. Try glazing some ribs with pepper jelly just before you bring them from the grill.

ZILLAI love it on biscuits in the morning with hot coffee. My favorite is the Mandarin Orange Hab. MMMMmmmmm.[/QUOTE said:
I'm in. Hot and sweet with coffee. Don't get any better than that.

Like everyone else has said, pepper jelly is good in glazes. And if you foil ribs on occasion, paint a coating of it on them before foiling, then save the drippings for a table sauce.

I have not specifically tried the Texas Pepper Jelly brand but have tried flavored pepper jelly on ribs, chicken, smoked fresh ham. and pork loin. It was OK but did not think it was anything special for ribs & chicken other than the shine it gave off which I can get with a good BBQ sauce. I liked it best on the pork loin and ham because of the sweetness that complements those meats.

In regards to Texas BBQ Rub, I think it's average. I know Texas BBQ Rub does a great job on their website of marketing their product to be the best rub ever. And because of it, I tried their twin sample pack Brisket Blend and the Old #2 original recipe. Tried the original first on ribs... Not bad, very traditional. I would use it again for variety but like many other rubs out there before this one. I then tried the Brisket Blend on two briskets and was not pleased at all. Did not like the color, texture or the flavor on the brisket. I would not use it again on brisket.

I actually gave Sawdustguy one of the two remaining 2 lb. bags I had at Grill Kings that was in my spice/sauce box.

Did 2 racks of baby backs this morning. Glazed with home made jalapeno jelly. First time I've done this. I like it a lot.

Attachments

• Pepper Jelly Ribs.JPG
    Pepper Jelly Ribs.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 152
Vinny,
I agree with most of what you said the thing about the Texas rub is that for the average back yard bbq guy it will help him go to the next level :p

then when he gets there he will come over here to go to the next level and start trying his own rubs and adjusting his style of Q :mrgreen:

I have tried all of his rubs and made adjustments to them the best one is the wild most people are using that one I believe??

Vinny the TPJ stuff is better than most of the stuff you can find in stores BTY I don't use it anymore in comps because so many guys are I have move to other things I make myself and have better luck :p and the TPJ and TEXAS Rub are not the same guys just inner circle buddies

I have not specifically tried the Texas Pepper Jelly brand but have tried flavored pepper jelly on ribs, chicken, smoked fresh ham. and pork loin. It was OK but did not think it was anything special for ribs & chicken other than the shine it gave off which I can get with a good BBQ sauce. I liked it best on the pork loin and ham because of the sweetness that complements those meats.

In regards to Texas BBQ Rub, I think it's average. I know Texas BBQ Rub does a great job on their website of marketing their product to be the best rub ever. And because of it, I tried their twin sample pack Brisket Blend and the Old #2 original recipe. Tried the original first on ribs... Not bad, very traditional. I would use it again for variety but like many other rubs out there before this one. I then tried the Brisket Blend on two briskets and was not pleased at all. Did not like the color, texture or the flavor on the brisket. I would not use it again on brisket.

I actually gave Sawdustguy one of the two remaining 2 lb. bags I had at Grill Kings that was in my spice/sauce box.

I have never used any jelly in my cooking--need to try that some day for grins. Always open to new ideas.

What I do love those is apple/pepper jelly mixed with cream cheese for crackers!
I can make a meal of that! :lol:

TIM

Does anyone have a particular brand or maker of Pepper jellies/jams? I have a couple favorites, but they are seasonal from local Farmers markets and strangely I've never tried them on any Q. One company that has a lot different flavors is Micks pepperroui. They have a ton of flavors but my tongue usually gets burnt out after a few samples! www.micks.com

Care to share any souces?

Brian

I use Texas BBQ Rub all the time, and everyone here loves it.

I will tweak whatever I use to my liking. I do like a base to start with. My tweaks usually include Cayenne and Garlic.

Does anyone have a particular brand or maker of Pepper jellies/jams? I have a couple favorites, but they are seasonal from local Farmers markets and strangely I've never tried them on any Q. One company that has a lot different flavors is Micks pepperroui. They have a ton of flavors but my tongue usually gets burnt out after a few samples! www.micks.com

Care to share any souces?

Brian

No expert on pepper jellys here, but I am really pleased with Love Creek Orchards' "Apple Jalapeno Jelly":
http://www.lovecreekorchards.com/gourmet.htm

Great stuff without overwhelming heat, at least IMHO!

TIM

Attachments

• Apple-Jap Jelly.jpg
    Apple-Jap Jelly.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 53
Back