MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Default Parsley, parsley, parsley! What ever happened to Green Leaf Lettuce?

Are parsley putting greens the only boxes that get called in today's contests? Back when I used to compete, we did well with just green leaf lettuce... But, now I wonder if these boxes would even get called today... Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork-Spare-Ribs.jpg (73.9 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Pulled-Pork.jpg (89.3 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg Brisket.jpg (75.6 KB, 325 views)

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We only do lettuce boxes...and have done very well on our appearance scores. The judges need to pay more attention to the meat...not the box! if it were up to me I'd do away with "garnish" altogether...it's a meat competition for cryin' out loud! Garnish is "optional" up here under PNWBA rules...but I'd probably get nailed for marking or something because I'd be the only one NOT using garnish...lol!

Last edited by JD McGee; 05-12-2011 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Not finished with my rant...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I've gotten calls with just green leaf lettuce, but not recently. This one ALMOST made it couple of weeks ago:

But yours are way better than mine.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I know of one very good team that uses only lettuce, I won't call them out though since it's not my place to do so. Personally, I like the parsley boxes and can build them quicker than I could build our old lettuce boxes. I have also found that parsley is easier to touch up after the meat has been placed and you need to hide sauce blunders. Since we are in a meat contest and the judges should be looking at only the meat, I would say use whatever you are comfortable with and used to.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

wow what is that stuff? i think I heard an old timer talking about it once
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice smoke ring on that brisket kcmike

JD - I got a comment at the Sky comp: "Parsley leaves an off taste on food". I figured the judge was a parsley hater, but the more I think about the more I'm thinking about moving to green lettuce...
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
Nice smoke ring on that brisket kcmike

JD - I got a comment at the Sky comp: "Parsley leaves an off taste on food". I figured the judge was a parsley hater, but the more I think about the more I'm thinking about moving to green lettuce...
You're not the first team I've heard about getting comments back like that. Which is another reason I'm still wondering why parsley putting greens are so damn popular. Somebody must be teaching them at a BBQ class or something...

Mike

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
You're not the first team I've heard about getting comments back like that. Which is another reason I'm still wondering why parsley putting greens are so damn popular. Somebody must be teaching them at a BBQ class or something...

Mike
I'm taking the PNWBA judge's class this weekend. It'll be interesting to see if they say anything about it....
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
I'm taking the PNWBA judge's class this weekend. It'll be interesting to see if they say anything about it....
I will be interested to hear what you are taught. We will be doing parsley in Vegas for the simple reason that it is so popular in KCBS comps...otherwise it's GLF for Wine Country Q...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I always turn in green leaf lettuce - with a little parsley inserted around any glaring blank spots.

BUT - as JD McGee says 'it's a meat competition' and I agree that the judges should be judging the meat - not the garnish.

The garnish is there simply to 'set off' the meat. I think the color of meat against any green background looks appetizing - and that's really what it's all about.

My personal impression of the entries you've provided is that they look really, really good.

I'd give each of them a 9 - it's how the meat is presented that counts and yours looks very appetizing.

If a judge comments about the taste of parsley affecting the meat, just make sure they didn't score down on appearance because of the taste of the parsley.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Here's what I'd be worried about: Recently, I've seen pictures of judging palates with 6 entries placed on them and at least one of them always has parsley plastered to the bottom of it. So, while the type of greens used "shouldn't" be a factor as long as they are legal, if they end up stuck to the entry and the judge is "forced" to include them in the taste and tenderness portions of the evaluation, I can see how a teams choice of what greens they use could become a real factor in their final score.

On a separate note, I know this is a meat contest and I'm totally against judges forming some kind of preconceived notion of what specific legal greens "should" be in a box, I just wonder why so many teams are of the opinion that if you're doing a KCBS contest you'd better use parsley? This one puzzles me... it's almost like the judges have spoken and unless you use parsley, you're not going to get any calls... I hope this is not true.

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We used putting greens our first year. I had NO fun. It just takes to dang long, and as others have said, it is a meat contest.

We started using mostly green leaf with just a little, if any parsley, and it takes me way less time to do the boxes. Our appearance scores don't seem to have suffered.

I know they shouldn't, but I'm convinced some judges do subconsciously grade up a little on a well done putting green. Just based on what I saw when I judged.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

When I am judging, I always remove the parsley from the samples. I'm there to judge the meat.

Garnish should be treated like matting for a print. If it's done decently, it should enhance the appearance and increase the viewer's appreciation.

I don't think that the putting green presentations draw a high appearance score because they are a putting green and the judges are 'looking for' or 'expecting' them. I think they draw a high appearance score because the team went to great efforts to ensure that the overall appearance was excellent. And that comes through whether you use parsley or not.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
When I am judging, I always remove the parsley from the samples. I'm there to judge the meat.

Garnish should be treated like matting for a print. If it's done decently, it should enhance the appearance and increase the viewer's appreciation.

I don't think that the putting green presentations draw a high appearance score because they are a putting green and the judges are 'looking for' or 'expecting' them. I think they draw a high appearance score because the team went to great efforts to ensure that the overall appearance was excellent. And that comes through whether you use parsley or not.
Glad to hear you remove the parsley from the sample before tasting. I'm quite sure others do not. Is there any instruction to the judges to do so (or to not do so)? Just wondering if this is covered in any of the classes or in the judges meeting...

Mike

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post

I think they draw a high appearance score because the team went to great efforts to ensure that the overall appearance was excellent.

This is exactly what I did NOT want to hear...effort should pay no roll in presentation (other than in the placement or arrangement of the meat)...nor should the garnish...it is the meat that should be judged on it's own merits...IMO...